What's new

Solved Not Booting

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You could try putting it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes, I've heard of people getting a unit to power up that way but it's not a sanctioned technique just a part of Internet lore.

MickeyLittle

The only other thing I can think of is running it till the battery is dead and then pressing the power button for 10-15 seconds to remove any discharge. Then plug the power cord back in and give it a few minutes before pushing the power button to boot it up.

Hopefully it isn't fully charged as I know you have no way that I can think of to determine when/if the battery is fully discharged? I used to work at Staples and I would see laptops from time to time that were dead and removing the battery and power cord, then pressing the power button did the trick needed.

But I have no idea how you can drain it or know when it is drained!

userT1000

I'm having the exact same issue. SP3 i7, no amount of timed button combos have any result. Also my device is heating up -fans and all - even though it appears off?

Edit: just tried after leaving it to drain, the screen flashed on with a battery indicator. Seriously what is wrong with this thing? Also I think charging £29 just to call is ridiculous?!

Last edited:
OP
K

katieflakes

Sorry for not getting back to this thread to let everyone know what's going on.

We took the Surface Pro 3 to a Microsoft Store. It turns out that it had to do with a Windows 10 update/upgrade. He managed to get it booted somehow and downloaded some application from the Microsoft website that solved the problem. Apparently the application stops the update and runs it in a different way which resolves the problem. I'm sorry I can't find the application, or remember what it was called. If I do find out, I'll post here with a link.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent. Thanks for posting.

If the freezer trick had worked, Microsoft may have installed a freezer in their stores.
Marking 'solved'.