What's new

Not compatible with Windows 10 May 2020 update yet?

ScottyS

Nice. Going to wait until I get home to check and see if the update is ready for my Surface Pro 6. Internet here at work is SSSLLLOOOWWWW compared to my Gigabit internet at home. Should be a much more pleasant experience to download at home.
Downloading didn't take too much time (although I get 200-300Mbps) because I think (and perhaps some of the moderators or others who know can verify this) components of it were downloaded as part of prior updates but "turned off".

This was the first upgrade that didn't re-write the registry. I have several custom items on my desktop right click menu (thanks to Sharpuser) and this is the first time I didn't have to re-do them.

wpcoe

What the hell, Microsoft? My SP6 is still "not ready" for the update???

There was a .NET Framework update available. Downloaded/installed that and then rebooted, but still no May 2020 Update. :(

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Downloading didn't take too much time (although I get 200-300Mbps) because I think (and perhaps some of the moderators or others who know can verify this) components of it were downloaded as part of prior updates but "turned off".

This was the first upgrade that didn't re-write the registry. I have several custom items on my desktop right click menu (thanks to Sharpuser) and this is the first time I didn't have to re-do them.

Good to know. Not available for my Surface Pro 6 yet. I'll check later tonight.

wpcoe

You know, there might be something to Microsoft's reluctance to upgrade my SP6.

I read someplace that you can force an update to the Spring 2020 Update by using the Windows 10 Update Assistant tool, so I tried. The tool downloaded the files and ever-so-slowly got into the 80% range of installing and then flipped to a blue screen (KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED.) Tried it again with the same result.

I wonder what is different between my SP6 and those of you who have been pushed the Update.

Mine has an i7-8650U, 256GB SSD and 16GB RAM. I also paid (separately, later) to upgrade to Win 10 Pro.

wpcoe

Yesterday at 625pm, it wasn't available, but just now (at 250am) it is:

windows-update.gif

It is downloading now, as I type. Fingers crossed, it should be installed soon.

[edited to add:]
Yes, it worked. I fell asleep and when I woke up hours later there was a notice by the system tray to reboot to finish the installation.

One oddity: While the update was downloading I left the room for a while, and when I returned the download was at 95% and the SP6 fan was whirring away. Per Task Manager the CPU utilization was between 50% and 60%. Once the download completed and the actual installation began, the CPU utilization was between 25% and 30%, with occasional dips to the mid-teens. Why would a *download* require such high CPU utilization? <shrug>

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Why would a *download* require such high CPU utilization? <shrug>

This is more than a GB-sized download. Scripts for subsequent installation on your computer are also being created. "Download" really means "download and install", as it is a process which decrypts and decompresses files for your hard drive, as well as scripting.

Let us know how it works out!

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Download was faster than the install. Also, I had no idea there was a "Realtek Audio Console" app. Apparently I am using Dolby Audio for my sound mode.

Also, there are supplemental updates after rebooting when 2004 finishes installing. I ran windows update again and had 5 more updates to do. So far so good.

wpcoe

I had a pop-up about a Realtek thing but I canceled/denied permission to it. (Can't remember if it were my antivirus advising me, or was Windows.) Still seem to have audio from my speakers and headphone jack. Just to be sure, I checked Device Manager, and no exclamation mark warnings.

I only had two updates when I ran Windows Update again: .NET Framework, and Adobe Flash. What were the other ones you had? I just now checked and no other updates available.