What's new

Not many Win 10 updates?

MrMrMr

On S3, and probably all Win 10 devices I presume, after the initial install there doesn't seem to be many system updates, is this correct? There was a defender update but not much more.

In the past there used to be literally hundreds of updates, restarts etc, is this now the "better" Win 10?

I had a surface 2, did a restore, and the amount if updates the RT OS were lots and lots, normal I thought for Windows. On my S3, with Win 10 was surprised how little.

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 10 puts out more cumulative updates then in previous versions....making updating new machines much quicker.

OP
M

MrMrMr

Windows 10 puts out more cumulative updates then in previous versions....making updating new machines much quicker.
So where are the cumulative updates then? Used to have service packs didn't they, how can I tell if have any cumulative updates?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So where are the cumulative updates then? Used to have service packs didn't they, how can I tell if have any cumulative updates?
They show up a large KB updates just like normal ones, some can be as large as 900+MB :)

DominicP

Go to All settings - Update & Security - Windows Update - Advanced options - View your update history.

Cumulative updates are released at 18.00 local time on the second Tuesday of each month.

There may be updates at other times, particularly if an urgent security issue is patched.

After re-installation or reset only the latest cumulative update is needed. There may be additional updates to firmware and other optional Windows components.

OP
M

MrMrMr

Go to All settings - Update & Security - Windows Update - Advanced options - View your update history.

Cumulative updates are released at 18.00 local time on the second Tuesday of each month.

There may be updates at other times, particularly if an urgent security issue is patched.

After re-installation or reset only the latest cumulative update is needed. There may be additional updates to firmware and other optional Windows components.
Thanks, can you screenshot your win 10 update history then please so I can check. As I say I ask it to check, but never listed them so maybe I have.

I know after I installed my office 2010 it installed a lot of updates for office though

DominicP

Thanks, can you screenshot your win 10 update history then please so I can check. As I say I ask it to check, but never listed them so maybe I have.

I know after I installed my office 2010 it installed a lot of updates for office though

My Surface 3 is running the latest preview version 14261 of Windows 10.

After a reset you should get at least the System Firmware Update 4/2/2016 and the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421). These should also be seen as installed at Programs and Features - View installed updates.

If your reset leaves problems, you can download the latest recovery image at Download a recovery image for your Surface .

Office 2010 has a separate update sequence, delivered through Windows Update.