What's new

Note taking abilities of the Surface RT?

pbankey

Hey everyone!

Just got my Surface RT on Friday with the awesome 1 year or Xbox Music. I will admit that I haven't been following the surface very recently but I was super ecited about it when I watched the unveiling months ago.

I have a two part question that I am hoping I can get clarification on. First, is the Surface RT flat out not going to be compatible with the digital pen that is bundled with the pro version? Kind of a bummer, but I have heard mixed answers on this and I really just want to know if it will be usable at all.

Second, how well does the Surface work with a capacitive type of stylus especially for note taking? I know that it is definitely not the ideal use of a fat stylus, but there were plenty of programs that made that task easy on the iPad. Just curious if anyone has tried this yet and how nice/readable it can look. Any apps that might be good for this? Drawing in OneNote is painfully laggy.

Thanks!
Philip

archapacman

Using amazon basic stylus:
8134040285_a8373f5a6a_b.jpg
8134040245_7f0f5ce851_b.jpg

Basically, you need to press a bit harder then with a Wacom stylus, but you should get the hang of it soon. Will become my new notebook with stylus using onenote, and homework using word.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Thanks for the demo. To answer the OP, a digital pen will never work on this version of the Surface RT. The hardware does not have the digitizer layer to make it work so you have to use a capacitive stylus.

archapacman

oops forgot to answer that question :). Yeah there is no digitalizer, my Wacom pen for my windows 7 slate does not work on this (obviously)

OP
P

pbankey

oops forgot to answer that question :). Yeah there is no digitalizer, my Wacom pen for my windows 7 slate does not work on this (obviously)

Thanks to both of you for the answers! I noticedin my onenote that using stylus input was VERY slow and sluggish. Was that the same experience that you had?

OP
P

pbankey

I bought a capacitive stylus but the writing experience, although is smooth now in terms of lag, is just not as good as what I was used to with the iPad. I'm hoping a combination of awesome apps with software integrated "palm blocking" will assist with this.

I know, the RT is not the version that focuses on the stylus experience, but it would be great to at least have the writing experience of the iPad. I am hoping using the Andoit "Jot" stylus will also making it much more precise and clean.

Thanks again for all the help!

archapacman

As a student, I also find that ink-notetaking isn't as breezy as my old windows slate with Wacom. However, it is doable. Some tips:

1) Microsoft word takes better notes. You can take it on there and transfer to OneNote
2) Try OneNote's different pen sizes. I realize that the default pen size is terrible and hard to see. Try a thicker pen size
3) Take notes on landscape mode. You would think to do on portrait, but taking notes on capacitive, you tend to write wider

It also has some form of palm rejection. Once you touch a point and start inking, it rejects other touches. Just that you have to move you hand out and in again to write a new symbol/letter.

OP
P

pbankey

screenshot2gv.png

Ive spent a little more time with the writing potential despite a capacitive stylus... and it is there. I hope developers can realize this and produce some good handwriting/note taking apps :) I'd pay pretty well for a decent one that has a software integrated palm block built for capacitive screens.

OP
P

pbankey

Hey everyone, just wanted to announce that there was a new app released in the MS Store today called "Note Anytime", an application built to maximize on the writing abilities of capacitive touchscreens.

here's the website: http://product.metamoji.com/en/anytime/

I've already downloaded it and gave it a shot and there is HUGE potential! It probably needs a bit more optimization through some software tweaks/updates, but it is by far the best solution to handwriting on the Surface RT.

It comes with palm blocking functionality also. Combining it with my Adonit stylus makes it very precise!

Anyone wanting to give the writing abilities of the surface RT a chance should at least check the app out.... I don't work for them, I swear :) Just love that developers are giving the surface tablet some love.

Last edited: