What's new

Note taking app needed

Wayne Orwig

For years, I have been using Word to take job notes. I use Sugarsync to sync the files between my work Win XP, my home PC (was Vista, now Win 7), my Android phone, and now my Surface Pro.
All is well. I can view and edit on all devices.
But, I was playing with Note Anytime on the SP yesterday. I would sure be nice to have that on all platforms. But that isn't available on WinXP and the Android version doesn't sync.

Any suggestions?
Word works on all platforms, but I never cared much for it.

Last edited:
OP
Wayne Orwig

Wayne Orwig

Have you tried OneNote?

It appears, unless I am missing something.....
OneNote on Android syncs only through SkyDrive. And the Android version has limited features.
OneNote free on Win8 is OK, but I would need to make a large purchase to get the real features.
OneNote for my office PC, limited to Office 2007, does not use the Skydrive.

So all told, it would cost me money to have fewer sync options.

Am I missing something?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You could also use EverNote, but I'm a big fan of OneNote 2013. You could use Office365 Home for $100/yr for up to 5 PCs (XP need not apply though).

pallentx

It appears, unless I am missing something.....
OneNote on Android syncs only through SkyDrive. And the Android version has limited features.
OneNote free on Win8 is OK, but I would need to make a large purchase to get the real features.
OneNote for my office PC, limited to Office 2007, does not use the Skydrive.

So all told, it would cost me money to have fewer sync options.

Am I missing something?

What features are missing in the Android and free Win8 versions. I have used both of those and don't remember them missing much. Maybe pen support? For you office PC, you can use the Skydrive online, web-based version.

mitchellvii

You can get a standalone version of OneNote 2013 from Dell.com for $49.99 (Microsoft Corporation Download - Microsoft OneNote 2013 1 PC "Consumer Only" : Software: Application & Download Software | Dell).

There is simply no other note taking app on the market that even comes close to the speed and power of OneNote. You just dropped $1000+ on your SurfacePro. Pony up and get the BEST note-taking software on the market, bar none. Don't get cheap when it counts.

"When you rely upon free software to do serious work you get exactly what you pay for..."

You don't buy a Ferrari and put Walmart Tires on it.

Last edited:

Rvacha

Agreed. OneNote is The One - but that's easy for me to say given I have two PCs running OL2013 and a WP8 phone all synced to Skydrive...

tonyz3

I think your issue is with Android one note. Mich what options could be used in Android which could all sync up in one note. I can't remember does lecture notes do this?

mitchellvii

I think your issue is with Android one note. Mich what options could be used in Android which could all sync up in one note. I can't remember does lecture notes do this?

I don't recall exactly what Android OneNote has. Will download it when I get a chance. I know for a fact it doesn't having inking. MS smartly hamstrung OneNote on all other platforms. If it weren't for wanting full featured OneNote I probably would have never bought a Surface Pro.

UPDATE: Ok, the Android version allows you to view typed text only and you can add only bullet points and checkboxes. No inking and no extensive tagging. Also no inline audio or video. So it is something but a vary limited version.

It does sync very quickly using your liveID.

Last edited:

deavod

For years, I have been using Word to take job notes. I use Sugarsync to sync the files between my work Win XP, my home PC (was Vista, now Win 7), my Android phone, and now my Surface Pro.
All is well. I can view and edit on all devices.
But, I was playing with Note Anytime on the SP yesterday. I would sure be nice to have that on all platforms. But that isn't available on WinXP and the Android version doesn't sync.

Any suggestions?
Word works on all platforms, but I never cared much for it.

OneNote is by far the best application for note taking hands down. Nothing comes close. I used to take notes with pen-and-paper or using Word. But keeping all the notes organized was impossible and syncing was out of the question.

The day I got my surface pro I started using OneNote and I have literally thrown out my old paper notebooks and I haven't touched Word. OneNote lets me take hand-written notes and search them so I can find specific words or phrases even though I hand-wrote the notes. And it syncs (via SkyDrive) so I can't loose my notebook if I tried. Inside the Microsoft ecosystem there is nothing that even comes close. if you want to use idevice or robot versions you can, but idevice version doesn't read inked notes. But either way you can use SkyDrive on the other platforms to read your OneNote notebooks, and the web version will work on anything.

Since you already have the Surface Pro why not dish out $99 and get Office Home Premium with OneNote? Office takes advantage of ink in all the apps and you can sync via SkyDrive so you'll have access to files if you need them. There's really nothing on the market that comes close to the value of OneNote on Surface Pro.

OP
Wayne Orwig

Wayne Orwig

UPDATE: Ok, the Android version allows you to view typed text only and you can add only bullet points and checkboxes. No inking and no extensive tagging. Also no inline audio or video. So it is something but a vary limited version.

I guess I will stick with Word for now, as it is the most portable for me.