What's new

Numeric Keypad still upside down

Cooknn

I was hoping that the final release of Windows 8.1 might get the software numeric keypad right. Still upside down. My Surface is not a phone.

Last edited:

oion

You could link to the older thread and/or point out that thousands of people who use traditional 10-key entry in many industries require the traditional layout.

The only other option is an external solution. Who knows, maybe Microsoft is secretly building a special 10-key/math/accounting/whatever keyboard accessory. :p

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I still stand by my Community Post, the Usability Group went with the Enterprise/Social VOIP Layout as it is the larger audience. 10 Key for real input requires a physical keyboard, I use a Numpad when I need to 10 Key (I have a Bluetooth and USB versions).

JohnF

Wow!! I've had my Surface since day one when it was released and never noticed the keypad went the other way. Then again I'm not a 10-key typer and almost never use the numeric keypad on my regular desktop keyboard. So in actuality I use the phone keypad layout way more than I ever use the standard 10-key layout. For me it works out great since I'm more used to that but can see how this would bother others and should be an option.

OP
C

Cooknn

I still stand by my Community Post, the Usability Group went with the Enterprise/Social VOIP Layout as it is the larger audience. 10 Key for real input requires a physical keyboard, I use a Numpad when I need to 10 Key (I have a Bluetooth and USB versions).
I respectfully disagree. When Microsoft releases Excel for the Modern UI it will be coded for touch. Number crunchers have been using the ten-key layout for over 100 years. When I am working on a spreadsheet that isn't too complex, I will definitely want to kick back on my sofa with my Surface sans keyboard. Microsoft cannot expect my demographic to relearn something that has been standard for so long.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yours is a valid use case, but the phone UI for the numpad has a larger demographic and it is what the Windows Coders gave us and I don't see it changing as the Windows Phone head leads the entire Windows Client Team (Windows x86, RT, Phone and Xbox).

kristalsoldier

Wow!! I've had my Surface since day one when it was released and never noticed the keypad went the other way. Then again I'm not a 10-key typer and almost never use the numeric keypad on my regular desktop keyboard. So in actuality I use the phone keypad layout way more than I ever use the standard 10-key layout. For me it works out great since I'm more used to that but can see how this would bother others and should be an option.

Lol! Me neither!!!! Odd isn't it, how one gets so accustomed to such seemingly common features?

oion

It should be a option, much the same way you can already opt for different keyboard layouts and language settings.