What's new

NVIDIA CEO says they will bring it with RT2

mitchellvii

Don't understand why any current Surface RT user is excited about a Surface 2 (notice they aren't saying Surface "RT" 2, because there will likely be no Surface Pro II so the RT will be just the 'Surface'). But anyway, all this means is that you will want the 2 and won't be able to get s*** for the RT. Wonder if it will have a better screen? I would think it will have to.

FFX

I'm not that keen on NVIDIA being the chipmaker for the next RT. They promised so much support for their tegra 3 devices, and now almost a year in, where are all the games NVIDIA promised with tegrazone? Their Tegrazone app is a joke. Android have 100+ Tegrazone games, we have 5?
What's in development?? Tegra 3 is still in development for Windows RT as stated on their Tegra 3 site, and has been since launch, with no other information being disclosed in almost a year.
I seriously hope this rumor isn't true, as I rather not buy another NVIDIA product.

Rallicat

I think this is excellent news. If Microsoft don't follow up with a Surface 2 RT, then it would be a blow to the overall Windows RT platform, and one that would likely see the slow fall off of apps being developed with full ARM compatibility, with the result being that even those people who stick with their first generation RT devices being left behind.

Continued commitment to Surface RT by Microsoft is good for all of us. Can't wait to see what they come up with!

CrippsCorner

Don't understand why any current Surface RT user is excited about a Surface 2 (notice they aren't saying Surface "RT" 2, because there will likely be no Surface Pro II so the RT will be just the 'Surface'). But anyway, all this means is that you will want the 2 and won't be able to get s*** for the RT. Wonder if it will have a better screen? I would think it will have to.

How would you see them improve the screen?

mitchellvii

1920 x 1080. Spapdragon 4 is fully capable of handling that. The new Toshiba Excite Write is a WHOPPING 2,560 x 1,600 display with a Wacom Digitizer on Snapdragon 4. They could put a full HD screen on the Surface II with a pen no sweat. While 2,560 x 1,600 is overkill (suffering battery drain and pen lag for no real added benefit), 1920 x 1080 makes sense.

At a decent price and Windows RT getting better, I can see the Surface II becoming THE go-to hybrid for college students.

** Notice again no one is calling it the "Surface RT II".

Last edited:

machistmo

I'm not that keen on NVIDIA being the chipmaker for the next RT. They promised so much support for their tegra 3 devices, and now almost a year in, where are all the games NVIDIA promised with tegrazone? Their Tegrazone app is a joke. Android have 100+ Tegrazone games, we have 5?
What's in development?? Tegra 3 is still in development for Windows RT as stated on their Tegra 3 site, and has been since launch, with no other information being disclosed in almost a year.
I seriously hope this rumor isn't true, as I rather not buy another NVIDIA product.

The Tegra 3 was released on November 9, 2011. The apps thing is a response to the marketplace. Blame MS not NVIDIA for the missing Apps. Remember when they had software stores and you used to go into them and the entire store was Windows and there was a shelf about 3 feet long and 3 feet high with Mac software? Well MS did this to themselves and now the shoe is on the other foot. I giggle a little each time I see a new piece of software being advertised for Ipad, Iphone and Android, while Microsoft is just not even mentioned.

As for Outlook 2013 being a 'killer app'... It wont hurt, but I doubt someone leaning toward an iPad for 400 other reasons would go ... "outlook 2013?" and drop their plans to get an iPad. It should have been there all along I agree, but Outlook is one brick needed to build the building of competition for Apples current line up. Face it, Apple is eating Microsoft's lunch right now. Even with iPad sales sluggish of late, its still killing the Surface.

Last edited:

FFX

No I blame NVIDIA as they are the company that promised us all the TegraZone games. But that's right your the one blaming Microsoft for this forums non-compatibility with IE11 on the Surface. Guess what Apple is still on the 3 feet long shelf in teach stores.
I get that your an iFan don't know the reason your trolling this forum, but please humor me and list the 400 reasons to buy the iPad instead of the Surface, can you manage 10 or even 1?

machistmo

Resolution above the RT's current 1366x768 pixels. While it was not an issue for me either, when I owned the unit, some people are really hung up on pixel density and color depth these days.