What's new

Ocd!

CrippsCorner

Keep finding myself not wanting to touch the screen because I don't want to make it mucky
tongue.png
is anyone else like that? Starting to use it more regular now so forcing myself too lol...

I used to be like that with my iPhone too but I've managed to calm down and only clean it twice a day. Scared of getting my first scratch on it, though I'm sure it will come at some point. You think someone like me would use screen protectors but I just can't! It takes away from the beauty of the product. You take your risks...

Does anyone use cleaning products on their Surface? Unsure what to use, especially on the back. At the moment I just breathe on it lol, and wipe with a microfibre cloth.

tonyz3

I have posted this a few times, so sorry for the repeat. But use rainx from any auto section of any store. It is for windshields, but clean your screen good than apply rainx 2-3coats letting it fog up and buff or wipe off in between each one. This will make your screen super smooth and it helps cleaning any prints off easier if you do get them. It does not effect your screen at all. worth every penny of the 4dollars. i usually need to apply once a month...2-3coats each time.

DOS

I have posted this a few times, so sorry for the repeat. But use rainx from any auto section of any store. It is for windshields, but clean your screen good than apply rainx 2-3coats letting it fog up and buff or wipe off in between each one. This will make your screen super smooth and it helps cleaning any prints off easier if you do get them. It does not effect your screen at all. worth every penny of the 4dollars. i usually need to apply once a month...2-3coats each time.

Thanks for the tip!

Wayne Orwig

My type of OCD is that I couldn't tolerate a scratch in the screen. So a less the perfect screen protector is much better than a potentially damaged screen for me. And last month I did get some sand or something on the screen that left a serious scratch in the protector. And of course I keep a micro fiber cloth handy for the smudges. But I have used touch screen devices for over 10 years, so I've adjusted.
My have to try the rain-x deal.

tonyz3

wont work on a screen protector....but I am sure you knew that. @pall. It does cut down on the amount or severity of the prints you do get and when you do get them they wipe off easier with the microF ... For me it is worth the smoothness on the screen. Makes your fingers and stylus glide across the screen a lot faster with less drag. "Smooth as the other side of the pillow"

tonyz3

I use a stylus to avoid fingermarks. Keeps the screen nice n clean.
I find it hard to believe you never touch the screen with anything other than a stylus... pinch to zoom, etc.:eek:mg: that said I do use the stylus a lot in tablet mode as a mouse...

kristalsoldier

Yeah...well, for me this lasts for about 24 hours, after which I make the device my own and that means fondling it, handling it, and using it! I accept - after the first 24 hours - that screens will get scratched, plastic will get marked and metal will get dented and move on. Of course, when any of this happens, I feel like shit - again for sometime (maybe 48-72 hours) and mover. After about 680 days or so, I am thinking of my next machine! :LOL:

Lolvo

I find it hard to believe you never touch the screen with anything other than a stylus... pinch to zoom, etc.:eek:mg: that said I do use the stylus a lot in tablet mode as a mouse...

I am right handed, and when using the stylus, generally have my surface in my left hand. I use touch gestures to zoom, but usually in accordance with the stylus (i.e. one finger and one stylus to zoom). For example, I'll use my left thumb to scroll or tap something on the left side of the screen, where my hand is holding the device. It takes some getting used to, but I've found that I type quicker with the stylus than I do simply by touch with the on-screen keyboard. And, when using the keyboard cover(s), I still find it easier, cleaner, and more precise to use the stylus. Although I will say that when working on a desk, I find myself using hand touches, as it's simpler to do going back and forth between screen and keyboard - no sense in the extra step of picking up the stylus and putting it down. It may be a force of habit, but knowing that I can navigate my tablet quickly without the thought of fingerprints, scratches, dirt, dust, anything that can be on my fingers, is a thought that keeps me using the stylus effectively. I have noticed that my stylus' tip has gotten progressively softer, and my screen is not always as sensitive to it as it is my finger.

Granted there are a few things that require my intimate touch, only a few of them get the honor. ;)

Kayzee - I have an InvisibleShield screen protector on my RT and I'm happy with it. I know where you are coming from about looks, but I'm too OCD myself to let a smudge or scratch get on the actual device screen; it's much more calming to know that I can take liberties with my Surface and not treat it like a newborn, and not have to worry about the actual device suffering an accident.

The protector is easy to clean, and does not interfere with touch/stylus interface. If I didn't have one, I'd never let anyone else use my surface - nor would I bring it with me many places. I recommend one!

Last edited:
OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Glad I'm not alone
cool.png
I do find the smears aren't so bad on the Surface anyway. The weirdest one for me was I had a black iPhone which was terrible, it used to drive me mad! But then I got a white iPhone and it was much, much better. I wonder if there is actually any difference in the way they're put together.

Jglnaz372

I use the lens cleaning cloth I have for my camera lenses and eye glasses. Works well, does not scratch, and removes the finger smudges. I tried using a stylus, but I lose them all the time.
I usually try to keep my devices as new looking as possible, even my smart phone. I see others who have newer phones and devices already beat up, scratched, and they have the attitude it will be outdated soon!
I am my own worse enemy because I take care of all my electronics and a few times I had cell phones I was made to replace because they would no longer work on my cell network. This was when cell services went from analog to digital. Phone was about 7 years old and worked fine. I even have some older laptops that still work but are outdated. So I can understand OCD and I think we all share it one way or another.