What's new

October firmware issue - looking for older firmware .bin file

srg3037

Just got the Surface 2 a few weeks ago during that $199 refurbished deal. Unfortunately I'm running into s issue with the latest October firmware/system update. The S2 came with the old original firmware version (August 2013). The first thing I did upon booting up the S2 was to let it install all the updates.

After I did that I noticed in the device manager under firmware the Surface 2 UEFI listing had an exclamation mark and the device status listed " The device cannot start. (Code 10) Indicates two revision levels are incompatible." Also the update was listed as "failed" in the update history with error code 8024CE0A. None of the drivers are update or anything. I have tried reinstalling update, refreshes and recoveries same issue every time.

Does anyone have one of the older firmware files preferably from February or June 2014? They are stored in the Windows directory in the firmware folder. I think there is an issue with the October firmware where it won't update proper over original firmware. Many thanks for anyone who can help.

rowtam

Same problem. Same refurb deal. When I look into device manager, it shows the "Surface 2 UEFI" with an exclamation point and a message "The device cannot start. (Code 10) Indicates two revision levels are incompatible." I also could not get the device to recognize my Surface Type Cover 2 keyboard until I refreshed the tablet and removed all updates. I also have a wifi issue. I have 6 devices running on my wifi, mostly android phones, macbooks, and a PC and all of them get 49Mbps down and 5Mbps down. With the S2, I get 1.5 down and 5Mbps up. Very frustrating. I've googled and tried various mods. At this point, nothing seems to work.

OP
S

srg3037

Frustrating for sure as I have not been able to solve issue. I'm not sure if it is an issue with refurb S2s or if it is an issue with the October firmware not being to update off a fresh install. That is why I was looking for a prior firmware version.

OP
S

srg3037

Well I could not figure it out so I requested an advanced replacement through the Surface support website. The replacement works great and updated to the October firmware with no issue. The replacement I got came with a newer recovery image that contained the January firmware. I tried using that image on the Surface that had the issue and it still had the same error. So it is definitely a hardware problem - rowtam just request a replacement the refurbished Surfaces have a one year warranty.

Last edited: