What's new

October firmware update

dleuen

Yeah. I still get "Limited Connection" at some places at work. But the Bluetooth may have been fixed; BT mouse paired both in Win8.1 and 10 and stayed paired. Can't wait to try the top part of the pen but I have to get new batteries. I burned the button batteries out trying to pair it so much.

Same here, limited connection. It is actually worse with this late October update than it was before. Sigh.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I installed the updates manually using the download the firmware zip file, unpack...right click....install...reboot (4 times). Not for the faint of heart.

VickiFL

Ok, I'm off to the Microsoft store today. The person I spoke with on the phone said to ask for a new SP3, so this will be my 2nd replacement. I'm kinda hoping they can fix the issues, but if not, I'm asking for a new one. This SP3 is ONE week old, and since the firmware update, all kinds of problems have cropped up. Micro SD issues, mouse type cover locking up, whole SP3 locking up (requiring me to hold power button and volume up button to shut it off), wifi dropping constantly, then coming back randomly, etc, etc.

I really love my SP3, but I hate all these problems. :(

I wonder if I should deny the firmware update on the replacement SP3.....

Deryl McCarty

I installed the updates manually using the download the firmware zip file, unpack...right click....install...reboot (4 times). Not for the faint of heart.

The only place I could find the ***.zip for the October 28 firmware update for my sp3 was softpedia. That's ok, but often some of these companies want to DL lots of "interesting" software to help me manage my computer. I understand they need to feed their employees, but... Where did you DL the zip on MS? And yes, its not for the faint of heart, but neither is running Win 10 on my only computer. Just remember, OneDrive is your best friend.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

When you click the download button select the October2014 SP3 Download (171.4MB)

upload_2014-10-31_10-22-37.png

Then install just the items listed in the Update Sheet here:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/pro-3-update-history

• Surface Pro UEFI update (v3.11.250.0) enhances the system stability, increases the reliability of the graphics display performance, and adds a status bar to the experience when applying future System Firmware Updates.
  • Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware update (v38.7.50.0) increases the reliability of sleep state transitions with a Surface Pro 3 Docking Station connected.
  • Surface Integration update (v2.0.1168.0) addresses setting the Hibernate value in Windows 10.
  • Intel(R) 8 Series PCI Express Root Port #3 - 9C14 update (v2.0.1151.0) addresses cases when the Wi-Fi adapter is not available upon resuming the system from sleep.
  • Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.3059.117) improves Wi-Fi throughput, especially after rebooting with Bluetooth devices that are paired, enhances power consumption situations, and addresses instances of system instability.

These updates are spread throughout the folder structure...look for updates that are dated later than the September 2014 Update, most are dated for October 2014 (i.e. there are many older updates in the zip files). All of the updates needed are in the Microsoft and Marvell Folders....

Deryl McCarty

yonghong - go easy on these guys. They will eventually figure out that their SP3s (4,5,6) are like their kids...especially teenage kids. All those teens see is your nagging, but it's full of love that they won't see until they leave the netherworld of "teenage-osity". Besides, some of the criticisms actually help MS make a better product for us. The downside is that the competition see and quote the negatives as a selling point for them. Sigh. Of course I was never that way as a teen........

bluegrass

Go here:
These updates are spread throughout the folder structure...look for updates that are dated later than the September 2014 Update, most are dated for October 2014 (i.e. there are many older updates in the zip files). All of the updates needed are in the Microsoft and Marvell Folders....

Since I never received the Oct 28th update even after trying to get updates several times, I decided to go your route and download the big zip file. I've unzipped it and see all the folders you were talking about. Assuming that I can figure out the right ones to install, how do you install them? Do you go to Device Manager and find the ones you want to update and choose update and point to the folders that you just unpacked from the zip file? Your right, this isn't for the faint hearted. Is this the way you updated your Surface?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As I said above, they are in the Microsoft Folder and Marvell Folder....to install right click on the .inf file and select install....