What's new

Office 2010 vs. Office 2013 vs. Office 365 for meeting notes?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've found that my writing is a lot more curvy and feminine when writing on the surface.

And with regard to the point about why would you write it if you're going to have to type it up for the boss afterwards, well that's very much a non-question, why would you go out of your way to knowingly double your workload? Of course you'd just type in the meeting. Keyboards and pens each have their uses, they are not completely interchangeable.
Typing in meetings can be very distracting and in some cases is not permitted.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

But in that situation the question is irrelevant because pen and paper, surface and pen, you'll still end up typing it up if the boss expects typed meeting notes.

OP
D

Dude

The distraction part is right on. It's highly annoying to have people who are fast typers and have laptops with loud keyboards.

But in that situation the question is irrelevant because pen and paper, surface and pen, you'll still end up typing it up if the boss expects typed meeting notes.

My (naive?) expectation is that the machine will convert my SP3 pen writing into typed text. I haven't tried it yet since I didn't want to activate the Office trial that came but rather just load our corporate version on it. With the holidays and all that just hasn't happened yet.

If the SP3 won't work out for me after all then I am getting myself an HP Elitebook Folio 1020 instead just as soon as it his the channel. Done and done.

ptrkhh

I forgot to mention that Office 2010 doesn't have scrolling touch gesture, so that would be incredibly annoying to use the scrollbar every time

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
My (naive?) expectation is that the machine will convert my SP3 pen writing into typed text. I haven't tried it yet since I didn't want to activate the Office trial that came but rather just load our corporate version on it. With the holidays and all that just hasn't happened yet.

If the SP3 won't work out for me after all then I am getting myself an HP Elitebook Folio 1020 instead just as soon as it his the channel. Done and done.

This is possible, however it is't perfect, you'll need to go back over your notes and proof read.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/convert-handwriting-to-type-onenote

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The distraction part is right on. It's highly annoying to have people who are fast typers and have laptops with loud keyboards.

If there is no compelling reason to turn the ink to text it is more efficient to leave it as ink as Windows treats ink just like text, it will convert ink to text, either through the Ink Input Panel (less efficient) or just my laying ink down on the page lasso and convert....

OneNote 2013 is available for free www.onenote.com so give it shot....

kristalsoldier

If there is no compelling reason to turn the ink to text it is more efficient to leave it as ink as Windows treats ink just like text, it will convert ink to text, either through the Ink Input Panel (less efficient) or just my laying ink down on the page lasso and convert....

OneNote 2013 is available for free www.onenote.com so give it shot....

Jeff...can you please explain the part in bold? Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Other than the typo? ;)

upload_2015-1-4_18-56-31.png

silkrooster

I guess that depends on how well you can write in one note since it support OCR (Optical Character Recognition). If I write slow and plain text it works, but fast and in cursive, not always. One issue I found, is once you click the button and it did not convert the hand writing to text, it won't let you try again, unless you re-write the text with the pen. That in it self could be a big issue if you are on a tight deadline like handing in notes at the end of class in a school for example.

DutchYee

Office 365 is an yearly subscription. You need to pay every year for your Office but get always the latest version of Office. Instead of buy every 2/3 years a new Office license key you get always the newest for an simple yearly subscription.

Don't see Office 2013 and Office 365 different right now. When Office 2015 will be released Office 365 will get it automatically.

For me 2010 is also pretty awesome. But i am using 2013.

dan_fein

I've been writing on tablet PC's for many years - the SP3 is my 4th (and best). My previous ones had non-glare screens which give a slight feel of pen friction, so I put a non glare skin on the SP3 screen and get a similar effect. Also, it doesn't reflect, and I like the feel of it for touch better than the smooth glass.