What's new

Office 2016 product code from retai??

Captpt

I have Office 356 on my SP3 which I purchased but my sister in law just bought a new SP3 and she saw cocsco is selling Office 2016 for a nice price and wondered could she just download Office 2016 from Microsoft then insert the Product Code from the retail version??? Obviously it would only be good for one device(her new SP3) but wondered if it would accept it seeing the Product Code is from the DVD Retail Version???

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait for confirmation from someone better versed, but a product activation code is a product activation code regardless of the install medium.

I bought a win 7 pro code on Amazon for exactly this kind of reason. Why pay a hundred odd for win 10 when I can buy a win 7 code for £10 then get the free upgrade :)

leeshor

The answer to the OP's question is very likely not a chance. License keys are tied to product codes. 365 and 2016 are different products.

OP
C

Captpt

The answer to the oP's question is very likely not a chance. License keys are tied to product codes. 365 and 2016 are different products.

True but you can download Office 2016 directly from MS, then is when I am thinking you could plug in the Products Key... She rather not go the subscription route of 365 & Office 2016 is a one time buy deal.

leeshor

The product key, (code), being different from the subscription key or SN key, is hard coded into the product.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you could download the Office 2016 ISO (assuming its available, I haven't looked) and use the retail box key. Although if you have another PC with a dvd player you can share the dvd and install from there over the network among several other ways of getting it on the Surface. copy the DVD to an ISO and put it on USB drive. Connect a portable DVD player to the Surface.