What's new

Office 365 Student Version

So it's currently going for $80 for 4 years. My questions is: hypothetically speaking, if it was my last day as a college student today and I bought it, would I still have it for 4 years?

Also, what if I have 3 years left of school, bought it today, then in my third year, buy it again for a total of 7 years with the student price. Is this possible?

raqball

So it's currently going for $80 for 4 years. My questions is: hypothetically speaking, if it was my last day as a college student today and I bought it, would I still have it for 4 years?

Also, what if I have 3 years left of school, bought it today, then in my third year, buy it again for a total of 7 years with the student price. Is this possible?

To the 1st question yes you would still be able to use it for the full 4 years.

To the second question I have no clue.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, from the web page who's eligible...
"Office 365 University is available to full- and part-time enrolled students, faculty, and staff of qualified, accredited higher education institutions. Alumni of these institutions aren’t eligible."

I hear they ask for an edu email... not sure what happens after graduation... technically.

BMoreawesome

Most .edu addresses stay active for a few years afterwards. I looked into the office 365 and it came down to paying to use three main pieces of software or using a free open source office program like Open Office which has full abilities of using the same file extensions as Office. I choose Open office.

raqball

Most .edu addresses stay active for a few years afterwards. I looked into the office 365 and it came down to paying to use three main pieces of software or using a free open source office program like Open Office which has full abilities of using the same file extensions as Office. I choose Open office.

Well.... For $80 you get 4 years worth of unlimited OneDrive space. Even if you never touch the Office products that is an unbelievable deal for the storage space alone!

OP
M

Modification

Wouldn't you lose all the files stored in the cloud after it expires though? I mean you go from 1tb to 15gb so what happens to your files then?

Also I was wondering if the only difference between the Microsoft Office suite (just the one time purhase) and the office 365, on the surface pro 3, is just the storage space and the Skype minutes? Would I still be able to do things on the office suite (such as exporting to onenote via printing, not having to save since it autosaves to cloud, still have the various pen functions, etc) that I can do on the 365?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Office suite in Office 365 has the same functionality as the Shrinkwrapped version...the difference is when Office 2015 is released and you have a valid Office 365 subscription you get the latest bits without having to pay for an upgrade like you would if you have the regular version. Plus you get Skype, OneDrive, etc.

raqball

I believe the files stay in place and you still have access to them even after the subscription ends. You just can't add anything new..

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Office suite in Office 365 has the same functionality as the Shrinkwrapped version...the difference is when Office 2015 is released and you have a valid Office 365 subscription you get the latest bits without having to pay for an upgrade like you would if you have the regular version. Plus you get Skype, OneDrive, etc.
Or to state it a different way, you are paying for upgrades with O365 and you're not with the other version. So you darn well should upgrade since you paid for it.

Liam2349

OneDrive has been really useful for collaborating on group work. I've been using Word online to edit a lab report and lab project plan with my lab partner and it's been great. Sat in the same room with our devices (he uses MBP Retina 15", 2013), we can talk and point things out, edit in real time and it makes things a lot easier.

Now for the issues.

Word online doesn't have all the features we require. I have to swap to 2013 to enter equations, which then DO NOT DISPLAY in Word online. Word online shows [equation] - now I thought the point of Office Online was that it could display absolutely everything 100% as it should be? Is there a way to fix this?

His version in Safari also has less options than mine - e.g. he does not have access to symbols. Why?

I've been thinking about getting Office 365 because I want the Office on Demand - streaming Office to any PC you log into... but they recently shut down Office on Demand. Has anything replaced it? Does the web version for 365 subscribers have the full feature set of Office 2013 now?