What's new

Office for Surface Pro

Leannrobb

Purchased Surface Pro yesterday with trial of Office 365.

Don't know that I need all the options nor do I really want to have to renew subscription every year.

Will Office 2013 (and maybe older versions say Office 2010) work on it?

or do we have to have a version suitable for tablets?

thanks for your help

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Office 2013 has a Touch Mode and works much better on Tablets than the older versions. Office 365 is a good value letting you have it installed on up to 5 devices.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Yes you can use older versions of Office just fine. They just won't be touch optimized. If you are using a desktop setup with keyboard and mouse attached then no big deal. If you are on the go a lot and using tablet mode then it might matter more.

Nuspieds

Office 2013 was obviously written with touch/tablet in mind.

I use it on my Surface Pro and it works great.

Office 2010 runs flawlessly and is mostly good with just touch. A few menus are hard to access, but those are rare. Even without a keyboard, Office 2010 runs nicely.

mitchellvii

You can get Office 2013 for a $10 a month subscription. You don't have to pay $100 up front. Of course paying over time costs more but you can cancel at any time.

Office 2013 should work smoothly with any legacy files Office 2007 and later. Gets a bit dicey on anything Office 2003 or earlier, especially Access.

**Office 2013 uses a new font smoothing technique. Looks fine on tablets but a bit funky on a bigger screen.

Last edited:
You can get Office 2013 for a $10 a month subscription. You don't have to pay $100 up front. Of course paying over time costs more but you can cancel at any time.

Office 2013 should work smoothly with any legacy files Office 2007 and earlier. Gets a bit dicey on anything Office 2003 or earlier, especially Access.

**Office 2013 uses a new font smoothing technique. Looks fine on tablets but a bit funky on a bigger screen.

I'm running 2013 on my desktop with duel 27" displays. I've not noticed any issues with fonts.

$10 a month is $120 a year, or $240 for the average life cycle. A great deal - for Microsoft. It's a pretty crappy deal for the average consumer.

Last edited: