What's new

Office Lens

wvevie

I just heard about Office Lens. Can Office Lens be used on the Surface Pro 3?

If so, is it a part of MS Office. I have a home version of MS Office but can't find it. I've been to the store and do not see it as an app to download.

Can someone explain it a little? I know what it is and does. I just need to know where it is and how to access it? I'm beginning to think it's just for Windows Phone.

bluegrass

I think it's only for Windows Phone and the iphone/ipad.

The camera on the SP3 isn't that great, maybe that's why it's omitted. Try genius scan as an alternative, however the camera is limited in what it can do.

Take a read of the issues people have had.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro3-surfhardware/surface-pro-3-camera-quality/52a2b69b-aa2e-49bb-8287-55dd37f60c6a

Wow. I just followed the link and than tested taking some photos with my Surface. I found out that the Surface won't focus on anything closer than about 18".

Office Lens is for the Windows Phone. It now ties into OneNote.

ipaq_101

Wow. I just followed the link and than tested taking some photos with my Surface. I found out that the Surface won't focus on anything closer than about 18".

Office Lens is for the Windows Phone. It now ties into OneNote.

Yeah the camera is dismal, I don't use it much, but you would think MS would have put in something better than a cheap $10 camera on a $1000+ machine.

It doesn't bother that much as I don't use it often, but I completely understand why some people are disappointed.

VikingTrad3r

i know this is old but for any others looking to scan with the surface, grab a +4.25 lens from a 10$ set of reading glasses from thendrugstore and hold it in feont of the rear cam. the camera quality is fine it is the lack of self focusing that is what matters.

Nys299

Office Lens is a great app but its primary usage is the ability to capture images from paper, whyteboards and adjust it accordingly. So suffice it to say that it would be better used in a smartphone because you have it with you all the time and chances are your smartphone would have a better camera. I cannot live without it, now as a self-employed person, I use Office Lens to capture all my receipts and invoices for safekeeping in one note so that I can produce it for IRS when they want me to account for my tax deductions. I wish that I had met this app so much earlier.