What's new

OFFICIAL I Now Have a Surface Pro 3 i7

Johan

Got my i7 256GB on launch day. So far very happy. Coming from a i5 SP 1 it is a huge upgrade. The speed is amazing, the kick stand is great, the extra screen size is very noticeable for someone who worked on a 10" for almost 2 years.

The only issue I am having is with the USB. If I plug in a new device such as a phone or hub I have gotten the BSOD with the watchdog error, this has happened twice so far. Once it reboots and I plug in the device again and it installs then I am fine going forward.
Did you try refreshing the install? if it still happens even with that, I would take it back.

DXL007

No, that is a PITA... it has only happen twice. If it ends up being an all the time thing I will.

As a side note I did do a clean install before I started meaning I wiped it right out of the box, I do that to avoid having to do it later after everything is done and configured.

FlySwatter

Received my I7 256GB on 8-6-14. I ran Windows Update, Scanned it with Defender, and was about to load Malware Bytes before beginning typical clean up and software loads. But first, I decided to test for the optimal screen resolution (for me). When I selected the second resolution, the screen went blank, and unit powered off, never to power on again. It was charged; no battery issues. The keyboard lights up when pressing the power button. If I plug in a flash drive, the drive lights up as if the Surface is trying to boot from it, but no video. Yes, I've tried all the troubled shooting suggested by Microsoft including the multi-button start up. I've opened an exchange with MS, and I am waiting (mostly) patiently for my replacement.

BUT, I am an official Surface Pro 3 I7 owner, even though it was only operational for about 30 minutes. Perhaps in a week or two, I'll be a happy owner of a hardier unit.

In the interim, I am enjoying the knowledge and banter in the forum. Thank you to everyone who has posted their experiences, suggestions, and even complaints about their hardware.

Deryl McCarty

didja try the 15 minutes in the freezer trick? Don't ask, but it worked for me just today after no button combination worked and the machine is still up and running and without skipping a beat afterwards including normal reboots. same machine as yours 256 i7

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
didja try the 15 minutes in the freezer trick? Don't ask, but it worked for me just today after no button combination worked and the machine is still up and running and without skipping a beat afterwards including normal reboots. same machine as yours 256 i7
Please don't propagate this. if it works as intended its an extremely rare occurrence otherwise just waiting 15-30 minutes would have worked just as well.

FlySwatter

The freezer trick is something I have used successfully in the past on some dead hard drives that brought them back long enough to recover some data (sometimes). Normally, I wouldn't consider doing this for anything else, but given that I have an exchange in the mail, I figured "what the heck?". No, it didn't work. Honestly, if it did, I would not consider the unit reliable, and have sent it back anyway. I appreciate the suggestion all the same.

FlySwatter

I went to Best Buy and picked up an mini display adapter and guess what? Yup, I can see my Surface on an external monitor. o_O No manner of tweaking returned my Surface screen to life including a complete factory reset. I've never experienced an instance where a screen died like that on a new laptop/tablet and I've worked on literally hundreds of them. Possibly as simple as a loose connection I suppose. I'm glad it happened sooner rather than later. I should receive my replacement Monday, and then I'll "officially" have 2 Surface Pro 3's -- until the dead one ships back.