What's new

OFFICIAL I Now Have a Surface Pro 3 i7

FlySwatter

@bangsters: What is your view on the (performance) differences between the i5 and i7? I'm still considering both options but I find it hard to justify the extra costs for the i7 model based on my research so far.
I'm interested in the i7 because I work with pretty heavy SQL Server databases and big Excel (powerpivot) solutions.

Kind regards...
This has been discussed a lot. One discussion you may find interesting is the topic titled "Anyone happier after switching to i5 from i7?" Link: http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/anyone-happier-after-switching-to-i5-from-i7.10703/

bangsters

@bangsters: What is your view on the (performance) differences between the i5 and i7? I'm still considering both options but I find it hard to justify the extra costs for the i7 model based on my research so far.
I'm interested in the i7 because I work with pretty heavy SQL Server databases and big Excel (powerpivot) solutions.

Kind regards...

Both actually perform great. Reason I went i7 is because my SP1 is already an i5 and I wanted the 512hdd space. Other than that, if it's just cpu power, it's only marginal. Both the SP3 i5 and i7 I got had 8gb ram, so it's hard to compare on that as well.

If you have extra dough to spend for the i7, go for it, coz this tablet/laptop will last you for a while and it's better to get the higher end model to make sure it's future proof for a few years. But if not, the i5 is also a great performance machine.

mtalinm

Well I have given it a ŵeêk since MSFT store ds the updates and the i7 is going back for sure, just can't handle the fan running all the time. It's beyond belief.

Englando

Got my i7 an hour ago and been installing updates, lovely device. The fan does get up to some serious speed when it needs to! But it's fairly quiet most of the time.

I'm really trying not to touch the screen with my fingers though, oil from my fingers really smears. So using the pen for now and it works so well and precise, you just have to ignore where the cursor is and use the pen like you would a normal pen on paper.

mobile-freak

WOHOOOOO! Today i've got my SP3 i7/256 GB it is sooo amazing. A huge difference between my old Galaxy Note 10.1 and the pen is absolut precis!!!! And with the blue Type Cover lovee it!!!!

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I'm glad i can join the "I have a Surface pro i7" club. Not really put it through it's paces yet, but I might test it tonight by importing and getting it to render some files from my D800 see if it overheats or not...!! So far so good with it, though it's a learning curve for me definitely with win8.

iDatus

i got my i5 8GB and using it to post in this thread. finally I have a product to boast about.
had yoga 13 (original) and nokia 2520.
This is the business.

Samstables

Got mine yesterday - bought direct from Microsoft online (love student discount!). It is hotter and noisier under load than I'd expected but I'm loving it so far. Bit gutted that the pen holder that came with the keyboard was stuck to the paper instructions it came with so I can't stick onto the keyboard :( Going to contact MS to ask for a replacement

Zog1971

Got mine yesterday - bought direct from Microsoft online (love student discount!). It is hotter and noisier under load than I'd expected but I'm loving it so far. Bit gutted that the pen holder that came with the keyboard was stuck to the paper instructions it came with so I can't stick onto the keyboard :( Going to contact MS to ask for a replacement
Don't hesitate to contact them. Mine wasn't even included! I watched many unboxing's and know where it was supposed to be in the box on the paper and it just wasn't there. MS support confirmed some type covers shipped without them and sent me one without hesitation. It's a cheap little piece of kit, but I still use it. :) I think they will fully understand your situation, too.

InspectHerGadget

Well, my first post!

After an unbelievable amount of indecision and procrastination on my part, I finally got one yesterday. The i7/256G.

The biggest surprise is the speed. It is heaps faster than the i5/8G/256G SP2 I have, so much so I was quite stunned. I'm wondering if it is something to do with the screen as well as the SP3 screen seems much less prone to missing touch commands.

It runs pretty cool as well I've really had no complaints there at all.

I find I still like the pen on the SP2 better but as I'm really only using it for handwriting I can live with it and get used to it.

The keyboard feels better to me than the SP2, the trackpad is obviously way better and is good enough that I don't really need my Arc Mouse for the Surface.

A pretty cool device, I have to say.