What's new

Official I ordered a Surface Book

Spurlock

I preordered my Surface Book. I'm stuck in the long wait. I picked the i7 - 512GB model.

I could get it now on Amazon Prime and have it tomorrow, but only Microsoft.com offers it with a student discount.

After the discount, it's only 2599 --tax included.

I didn't get the MS care cause i'm trying to save as much money as possible. (still a college student). I'd drop it to the next lowest option, but I really need double the storage and memory.

Wayne Orwig

I pre-ordered late in the game, so I have a 7 week wait, it states.
I have a question for anyone that has had hands on. As we know, there is a gap at the hinge when the book is closed. Not a bad thing IMHO because it keeps the keyboard from rubbing the screen. But, what about the top edge of the screen where it hits the keyboard? Is there a bumper there?

So mine is due sometime in December, from all of the info that I have. Just out of curiosity I went to a Best Buy to see if they had a demo unit out. I played with it for a while, and asked if they had any in stock. He said they had sold them all, but one. That one, is the same model that I want. So after thinking it over, I got it. I then called Microsoft to cancel my order. WRONG! I really like my Surface Book, but the Microsoft order system is a disaster.

Spurlock

I can live with waiting a little extra to save $287, but i'd really like a better order tracking system. The "My Orders" Page on Microsoft.com still says 6-7 weeks. I don't think it's dynamic at all, and is in no way is it "following my order" (it has said 6-7 weeks for going on 2 weeks ).

I can live with it... but it sucks waiting.

Wayne Orwig

I can live with waiting a little extra to save $287, but i'd really like a better order tracking system. The "My Orders" Page on Microsoft.com still says 6-7 weeks. I don't think it's dynamic at all, and is in no way is it "following my order" (it has said 6-7 weeks for going on 2 weeks ).

I can live with it... but it sucks waiting.

In my case, the amount was the same online, and at Best Buy.

My order info for the past two weeks has been stuck at 7 - 8 weeks. It has never changed.

BUT, in the numerous long calls to many off shore call centers to try to cancel my Microsoft order, they have implied that my shipment is expected to happen on November 4th. So if there is anything to that number, your wait may not be too much longer.

And from my few hours of use, it is going to be a great tool for me. Very snappy performance compared to my older equipment, and even my Surface Pro.

mcsenerd

I got my shipment notification earlier today and my i7/16/512 is supposed to be here tomorrow! Looking forward to the marathon firmware updates/patches! NOT :)

mikeheel

Ordered an i5 256GB w/o the GPU from Costco today. Also includes wireless display adapter and Office 365, but the extras did not increase the cost. This model is not yet in stock anywhere. MS site says this model ships 12/2, but Costco site says it ships week of 11/16. I'm expecting Costco's timeline is too optimistic. I could go ahead and get the 128GB model or the 256GB with the graphics card, but I want 256GB and don't need the graphics card. However, it is tempting to just cancel and go pick one up.

Edited to add the following:

I did end up canceling the order and going to pick one up at Best Buy. To do so, I got the i5 256GB with the discreet graphics card.

After a few days, I decided to return it and got the SP4 instead, as it was less expensive, more portable, and I realized my use patterns were not as laptop-centric as I had believed. In the end, both are absolutely wonderful devices, but the SP4 fits my use better.

Last edited:

Orlbuckeye

I ordered from Best Buy with 2 day delivery. I ordered the i5 8 GB ram 256 SSD with Nvidia DGP. I got a tracking number but hasn't been picked up by UPS. I had to pay 37 for 2 day and if I picked up at store it would be 11/21. Also free year anti-virus Webroot with the purchase.

bamaster

Yesterday my AmEx was charged for my i7/16/512 pre-order (ordered Oct 15). No shipping notification yet. I assume it's coming soon.

Orlbuckeye

I ordered and received in 2 day delivery. It was 256 GB 8 i5 with DGPU. I configured and work for an hour and did update and unit bricked during firmware update. Got on the chat window with MS. MS emailed me Fedex mailing label I took it to fedex 10 Am thursday 11/19 and they received in Texas at MS around 3:00 pm Friday. Been checking online it's listed as exchange but hasn't shipped back to me yet.

bangsters

Got the tracking on mine. I should have mine by tomorrow EOD. 512GB/16GB/i7. Can't wait.

UPDATE: checked tracking, it's already at EWR. Nice. should get it today

Last edited: