What's new

Official Microsoft Miracast Adapter

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The evidence points to that conclusion, my understanding is that AnyConnect disables key components of WiFiDirect....

yonghong

Gonna describe the experience with this adapter here, and see if anyone can help improve the performance.
Environment: 2x Surface Pro 3, HDMI+USB TV, 2 external monitors with HDMI. (So that's 3 screens that can show the image from Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, or MWDA). Distance between Surface and the TV is no longer than 10 feet. Internet router runs under 2.4GHz (However WiFi Direct should not rely on a router to work).
All updates are to the latest; according to the recently released Metro App for MWDA, the firmware is also up to date.
Signal interference: Many 2.4GHz WiFi and Bluetooth devices in the room. Surface also has Bluetooth devices paired.

To rule out avoidable 2.4GHz channel interference, I turned off Bluetooth devices (which is actually not acceptable during normal use). Have the HDMI and USB plugged to the TV, I turn the TV on, and the screen flashes shortly after showing the Microsoft Logo then resumes (On my external monitor with built-in speakers, I can also hear a beep-bop the same time the screen flashes). Then it shows "Ready to Connect". So I swipe to get charms bar, add this wireless display, and connect to it. Very soon, the TV turns all-black and the surface enters the projecting mode. No image or sound can be shown.
Then I disconnect them, pull out HDMI and plug it again, then the screen resumes to "Ready to Connect"(Note that the screen remains black between disconnection and pulling HDMI out of the TV, which is really weird). Connect again, and it can be done. Both video and audio can be pushed to the TV. However, it disconnects randomly and the TV goes all black again and again.

I also had bad experience with Belkin's Miracast Adapter and returned it. Just can't believe this one, made by Microsoft, plays as poorly as this with Surface Pro 3....Yeah two Surface Pro 3s tested.

The worst thing is, I do not even know how to reach the right technical support department from Microsoft for this issue.
Mine works great too, it's your problem

bulls96

I bought this with my $10 coupon from the Microsoft band fiasco.

It works. I find it stutters a lot though. Not that it makes things unmatchable, but you would expect t a better performance from a MSFT endorsed product.

B

B'midbar

I'm waiting for this to be available in Europe.
I have this nice battery to power it for few hours. This makes my SP3 the perfect companion for wireless presentations!

Interesting. I had a PowerGorilla for long flights with my laptop, but the weight of that defeats the (to me) purpose of the lightweight SP3. Still, I'm wondering if there's anything like this out there for the SP3 that doesn't weight more than a kilogram?

EvanSP3

Having an unfortunate time with my MS Display Adapter. Just can't get it to work. SP3 is completely updated, about 5 feet from Sony TV, Adapter screen shows up and is 'discovered' on my SP3, but says it can not connect. Any advice from some veterans?

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Having an unfortunate time with my MS Display Adapter. Just can't get it to work. SP3 is completely updated, about 5 feet from Sony TV, Adapter screen shows up and is 'discovered' on my SP3, but says it can not connect. Any advice from some veterans?
Which Video Driver are you using? One thing to try is to remove the Video Driver and re-install it....

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There is some lag, but not like when the Technology was first introduced....I find it quite usable.

kundas1

what lag? I don't see any lag, not that I notice anyways.. only time it lags for me is if I'm gaming or heavy duty action scenes in movies and even then it's minuscule... I luv my adapter!