What's new

Official Microsoft Miracast Adapter

lonaysta

Cancelled the preorder on Microsoft Store since my local Best Buy employee said on Tuesday that they had it in stock then. Will go on Friday to pick up one.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
How is this better than a $39 Fire TV Stick, other than it might work where the Fire TV might not. :)

lonaysta

Neither Fire TV Stick or Chromecast can mirror a Windows Desktop.
Got this today, and wondering how I can switch to 5GHz channel. I've got many 2.4GHz devices here, both WiFi and Bluetooth. The official Metro App does not provide such an option...

dougpaw57

I got an e-mail yesterday stating that mine shipped from MS via UPS ground. It showed up a few minutes ago, time to play.

lonaysta

Gonna describe the experience with this adapter here, and see if anyone can help improve the performance.
Environment: 2x Surface Pro 3, HDMI+USB TV, 2 external monitors with HDMI. (So that's 3 screens that can show the image from Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, or MWDA). Distance between Surface and the TV is no longer than 10 feet. Internet router runs under 2.4GHz (However WiFi Direct should not rely on a router to work).
All updates are to the latest; according to the recently released Metro App for MWDA, the firmware is also up to date.
Signal interference: Many 2.4GHz WiFi and Bluetooth devices in the room. Surface also has Bluetooth devices paired.

To rule out avoidable 2.4GHz channel interference, I turned off Bluetooth devices (which is actually not acceptable during normal use). Have the HDMI and USB plugged to the TV, I turn the TV on, and the screen flashes shortly after showing the Microsoft Logo then resumes (On my external monitor with built-in speakers, I can also hear a beep-bop the same time the screen flashes). Then it shows "Ready to Connect". So I swipe to get charms bar, add this wireless display, and connect to it. Very soon, the TV turns all-black and the surface enters the projecting mode. No image or sound can be shown.
Then I disconnect them, pull out HDMI and plug it again, then the screen resumes to "Ready to Connect"(Note that the screen remains black between disconnection and pulling HDMI out of the TV, which is really weird). Connect again, and it can be done. Both video and audio can be pushed to the TV. However, it disconnects randomly and the TV goes all black again and again.

I also had bad experience with Belkin's Miracast Adapter and returned it. Just can't believe this one, made by Microsoft, plays as poorly as this with Surface Pro 3....Yeah two Surface Pro 3s tested.

The worst thing is, I do not even know how to reach the right technical support department from Microsoft for this issue.

lonaysta

Did more test with it.
All BT devices disconnected+AC Power Plugged+distance within 5 feet, I managed to play Iron Man 3 1080p on my TV with MWDA, casting from Surface Pro 3. If I turn on any Bluetooth device, or switch it to battery, or move it a little bit further (10 feet, no wall), the connection becomes unstable and then, drop.
Ahhhh terrible terrible performance...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I will be using the Microsoft Miracast Adapter to connect to projectors (older VGA and newer HDMI). Here's someone doing just that with an older adaptation of Miracast:

Last edited:
OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone been able to get the Microsoft Wireless Display to connect to their Surface Pro 3?
Most people I know who have bought it have successfully connected it to their SP3. The ones that haven't typically are running Windows 10, have VirtualBox or other Virtualization Tech installed, have a 3rd Party VPN client like Cisco or are running a Corporate Image that may have older drivers....

enthuz

Most people I know who have bought it have successfully connected it to their SP3. The ones that haven't typically are running Windows 10, have VirtualBox or other Virtualization Tech installed, have a 3rd Party VPN client like Cisco or are running a Corporate Image that may have older drivers....

So it won't work with Cisco AnyConnect loaded?