What's new

Official Windows 10 Insiders thread

GTiceman

Did any of you make it to an Insider launch event? I unfortunately didn't get an invite to any, the closest being NYC

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I'm still confused about this. If we clean install Windows 10, do we then need to apply a driver pack? Or just run update and all the required drivers will install?
Technically, the Driver Pack is available as a convenience for IT Shops making corporate images for deployment, When I did a clean install during the Preview all drivers where either native or available through Windows Update...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did any of you make it to an Insider launch event? I unfortunately didn't get an invite to any, the closest being NYC

Miscrosoft do not see the UK as a viable market it seems.. what possible use would retail presence do for them? Sigh

Folks will whine. They always do.

Unfortunately so. I guess in this instance that it's just so much more infuriating because I've used 10 for long enough that I know most of their complaints and whining are nothing more than refusing to accept that a new OS is going to be different to the old one and that they refuse to adjust. Why would you upgrade to a new OS if you didn't want it to be different to the old one? :D

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Miscrosoft do not see the UK as a viable market it seems.. what possible use would retail presence do for them? Sigh

Unfortunately so. I guess in this instance that it's just so much more infuriating because I've used 10 for long enough that I know most of their complaints and whining are nothing more than refusing to accept that a new OS is going to be different to the old one and that they refuse to adjust. Why would you upgrade to a new OS if you didn't want it to be different to the old one? :D
Wanting new features and continuing supportability (especially in the Fruit world) doesn't mean we want tossed salad for the UI. :D or for it to look like Xwindows from 1990s Unix. :D been there done that already.

Last edited:

wynand32

Technically, the Driver Pack is available as a convenience for IT Shops making corporate images for deployment, When I did a clean install during the Preview all drivers where either native or available through Windows Update...

Excellent, thanks!

GTiceman

Anyone due a fresh install and have problems with activation?
MS recommends using Refresh as the avenue for this. A fully clean install as we used to know it is not recommended at this time. I know I had issues on another system doing that.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another thing, has anyone given thought about the free upgrade and what happens if us as insiders decide to leave the program after the 1 year offer expires, will we then need to pay?

This is purely speculation, but if you are an insider and have come from a genuine copy of 7 or 8 then Microsoft already knows that you're good for it. Otherwise the same argument might apply to someone who reverted to 8.1 12 months from now, for whatever reason, maybe accidentally when they just wanted to do a refresh, and were then told that they'd have to then go and buy 10. As I say, this is just my opinion, but if you have upgraded to the official release already, then you now own it, and if you reinstall a while later having left the program, MS still have the information on your account confirming you claimed your upgrade, and will then just verify against the Key on your machine that you can install it.

We might still be insiders, but we're also now legitimate owners of windows 10 just like everyone else. It does feel rather odd though not to have a physical key and disk in my hand. I feel a bit naked :p

GTiceman

This is purely speculation, but if you are an insider and have come from a genuine copy of 7 or 8 then Microsoft already knows that you're good for it. Otherwise the same argument might apply to someone who reverted to 8.1 12 months from now, for whatever reason, maybe accidentally when they just wanted to do a refresh, and were then told that they'd have to then go and buy 10. As I say, this is just my opinion, but if you have upgraded to the official release already, then you now own it, and if you reinstall a while later having left the program, MS still have the information on your account confirming you claimed your upgrade, and will then just verify against the Key on your machine that you can install it.

We might still be insiders, but we're also now legitimate owners of windows 10 just like everyone else. It does feel rather odd though not to have a physical key and disk in my hand. I feel a bit naked :p

Actually I don't believe it generated unique ownership keys for any of us. I would hope they have thought about this though.