What's new

Official Windows 10 Insiders thread

wynand32

I'm getting 7-8 hours of screen time, Flash is disabled and Adblock is enabled. If I do a conference call depending on length I can be down to 4.5-5 hours.

Well, sounds like I use mine almost exactly as you do, mainly Edge (Flash off), OneNote, and Nextgen Reader (RSS app), and screen at "Recommended" and adaptive. I'm getting no more than 5 hours. Honestly, I don't get it.

wynand32

Hmm... Installed today's build 14905, and now my CPU is pegged at 75% plus and the fan is running constantly. I have a feeling this isn't the best build.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm... Installed today's build 14905, and now my CPU is pegged at 75% plus and the fan is running constantly. I have a feeling this isn't the best build.
Bummer....I'm having better luck with this one, the last one was a bit sluggish but this one seems to have fixed the issues I was having...

wynand32

Actually, interestingly enough, I figured out what was happening. The update reset my OneDrive folder settings to sync ALL folders, and the sync of about 100GB of extraneous stuff was what caused the spike. It also caused my SSD to completely fill up.

I set things back to where they were, and processor usage returned to normal. I also got back that freaking 100GB of space.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Running Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 14951 on my Surface Book.

I use my Surface Book on international trips (every other month), and am very sensitive to battery life and performance. This build does very well with battery life and with wake up / sleep functions.

Also:
- Can immediately mark-up (draw) on photos using finger or pen
- Better movement of tiles in the Start menu
- Start menu can be set to not show all the apps on the left side (show only tiles)
- Multiple gestures (see screenshot)
- OneDrive no longer hangs on that apparently "last file" to upload
- Backup to microSD is faster and more reliable
Gestures1.JPG

Gestures2.JPG

Gestures3.JPG

Compusmurf

14955, new docking station. I've seen 1/2 dozen or more reports of ethernet dropping connection and reconnecting.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
14955 - Just got several firmware updates - including

• Microsoft driver update for Surface UEFI
• Microsoft driver update for Surface Embedded Controller Firmware
• Microsoft driver update for Surface System Aggregator Firmware.
•Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. driver update for Marvell AVASTAR Bluetooth Radio Adapter
•Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. driver update for Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller
• NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce GPU

Compusmurf

You're the only one that has mentioned firmware updates. Nothing else I've seen so far. Maybe it's a Book only thing. Any version numbers?