What's new

Official Windows 10, post upgrade discussions and problems

There's already a thread about it I believe but maybe it'll get more exposure here.

I still cannot access my settings with the new Windows 10 OS. I click it, a window BRIEFLY pops up, closes, then nothing.

Kris

thinking about reverting back to windows 8 and upgrading again to see if I can get back Windows Photo Viewer

Anyone else have issues adding social media apps to People? When I try it opens the windows app store with a set of empty inverted commas and finds nothing.

cldittus

i am one of the many who keeps getting the failed install...

i have tried all of the troubleshooting and still no success.

i was looking forward to learning my way around before i get back to work since i do my work on my surface pro 3 but i guess that is not going to happen. I am up 18 failed attempts since yesterday morning!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, not so much a discussion item as a how'd it go report...
Updated one of my lessor laptops... succeeded on the second try.
I decided to use the Media Creation Tool to jump start the process since I hadn't reserved ahead of time or installed the get Windows 10 app.

I figured since I have several to update I could save time and bandwidth by creating a USB drive for installing.

It created and verified the USB and I verified it would boot if needed.
Then from within Windows 8.1 I ran setup... it went through some preliminaries and got to asking for the Key which AFAIK it should have skipped and I was stuck... I didn't have a key and could not proceed.

Went back and reran the Tool and used the "Update this machine now" option which downloaded W10 all over again and this went through the Upgrade without any problems, never saw a screen for entering a key (Which I shouldn't have).

One down.
Not sure why the USB method failed... :(
Note: If you boot off the USB and you select the Update Option it will tell you to Update you MUST run setup from within Windows. I wonder why they have that option listed then, seems silly. Maybe that GWX app performs the missing magic...

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, until now I have avoided any W10 so that my experience would be fresh and untainted upon release.

Is it 1990 again... this design reminds me of OLD nix technology of a bygone era long ago.

I guess we have all the 3D and shadowing reintroductions to look forward to in future builds. :)

Toekiller

Anyone know how to change the icon or colour of pinned URLs from edge on the start menu \ screen? Most just appear the same as the default edge icon.

ScottyS

i am one of the many who keeps getting the failed install...

i have tried all of the troubleshooting and still no success.

i was looking forward to learning my way around before i get back to work since i do my work on my surface pro 3 but i guess that is not going to happen. I am up 18 failed attempts since yesterday morning!!
No, I'm getting that too. Error: 80070003.

Only issue at the moment is my One Drive is not syncing correctly. If I create a file on another computer my windows 10 machine does not show it... but if I delete somehting from my windows 10 computer it gets deleted on the other computers...

lhauser

Ok, not so much a discussion item as a how'd it go report...
Updated one of my lessor laptops... succeeded on the second try.
I decided to use the Media Creation Tool to jump start the process since I hadn't reserved ahead of time or installed the get Windows 10 app.

I figured since I have several to update I could save time and bandwidth by creating a USB drive for installing.

It created and verified the USB and I verified it would boot if needed.
Then from within Windows 8.1 I ran setup... it went through some preliminaries and got to asking for the Key which AFAIK it should have skipped and I was stuck... I didn't have a key and could not proceed.

Went back and reran the Tool and used the "Update this machine now" option which downloaded W10 all over again and this went through the Upgrade without any problems, never saw a screen for entering a key (Which I shouldn't have).

One down.
Not sure why the USB method failed... :(
Note: If you boot off the USB and you select the Update Option it will tell you to Update you MUST run setup from within Windows. I wonder why they have that option listed then, seems silly. Maybe that GWX app performs the missing magic...

Running the USB-based update from within Windows was how I had to update from 8.1 to 10162 a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps the other option is for Win7 upgrades?

When you didn't have a key to put in, did you notice an option to skip key entry? I've heard that some people saw this, skipped it, and had Win10 go online and activate without difficulty.