What's new

Official Windows 10, post upgrade discussions and problems

f4f

hahaha I wish this wasn't an issue but here it is:

My device was off/standby/(whatever it does when screen is off) all night, left it at 100% battery. Woke up and device was still off, but was VERY hot and wouldn't turn on :(
That's incredible. This is the problem I came on here to report and for an answer to find. It's VERY hot.

I've turned off notifications to Mail.
unistalled dropbox (haven't reinstalled it yet)
Looked through the task manager but nothing stands out
Adjusted sleep mode and screen off mode to 2min

The strangest thing is, no matter what the charge is when I put it to sleep, it awakes with 6% (or off if it's been more than day). So I feel like it is doing something when it gets to the danger zone. I always have battery saver on.

Any ideas?

Arizona Willie

Update 547 will not install.

Tried twice yesterday.

Gets to 97% and hangs. Let it sit for an hour and NOTHING HAPPENED.

Fortunately, it did revert back to 532 with no " apparent " problem.

People are screaming about this all over the world where it is going out.

Microsoft is silent so far.

Seems they got all their First String programmers working on Android and Office for other platforms and put their 2nd Stringers on this update.

Save yourself some trouble and anxiety if you are in the Insider program and DO NOT download the update 547.

lhauser

Update 547 will not install.

Tried twice yesterday.

Gets to 97% and hangs. Let it sit for an hour and NOTHING HAPPENED.

Fortunately, it did revert back to 532 with no " apparent " problem.

People are screaming about this all over the world where it is going out.

Microsoft is silent so far.

Seems they got all their First String programmers working on Android and Office for other platforms and put their 2nd Stringers on this update.

Save yourself some trouble and anxiety if you are in the Insider program and DO NOT download the update 547.

I had no difficulty at all installing this latest update.

Rant follows...

My point here is that while you had problems, others haven't. Of course, you don't know until you try. But I see this all the time...people having difficulties and warning everyone else off as if it's inevitable the difficulties will show up for them as well.

If you're on the Insider program, you've signed up to be a perpetual beta tester. If you're on the fast ring, and you're NOT downloading and attempting to install every fast ring release, you're Doing It Wrong. Tell the world and Microsoft about the problems you encounter, but don't tell others to stay away from the release. Trouble and anxiety are part of what you signed up for.

Rant ends.

Arizona Willie

I fully understand I signed up for beta testing.

I've been beta testing Windows since Windows 95.

But this is the WORST update I have ever seen.

I got it updated finally yesterday morning and then wished I hadn't.

Took several tries to get it to boot and when I got to the Lock Screen I could not enter my pin number.

There is a shield over the text entry box.

When I hit Cntrl / Alt / Delete the shield goes away and I can finally enter my pin.

Last night it would not shut down.

Left it running for 30 minutes with the spinnin icon and " shutting down " but it never did.

Finally had to just shut of the power and hope it didn't screw it up worse.

This morning took 3 tries to get it to cold boot. Well the first try it was cold, technically not on the 2nd and 3rd tries.

NONE OF THIS HAPPENED BEFORE THE UPDATE.

And people are screaming about it on the Insider.

I'm not the only one.

Usually, I'm in the same position as the people telling me their update went fine, because mine did and I'm reading messages from people having trouble.

This time it's my turn to have an update majorly screw things up.

I post for several reasons: to let people know who haven't updated that it might be a good idea to wait until Microsoft fixes it / to see how many others are having the same kind of problem(s) / to see if anyone knows how to fix it.

And I have installed every update on the Fast Ring. All worked well until Friday when the update failed the first two times and then finally installed on Saturday.

Yes I signed up for possible trouble but I see nothing wrong in warning others that it is a bad release. Not the first bad release either on this iteration of Windows but the others didn't cause as much trouble for as many people as this one is. Just like this one ... some people had no trouble ( including me ) and now many people are having trouble ( including me ). :)

Oh, I forgot, this is on my desktop. My Surface Pro is still running 8.1. But my phone is on the latest release of W10 for phones. No problem there either.

==============

I had no difficulty at all installing this latest update.

Rant follows...

My point here is that while you had problems, others haven't. Of course, you don't know until you try. But I see this all the time...people having difficulties and warning everyone else off as if it's inevitable the difficulties will show up for them as well.

If you're on the Insider program, you've signed up to be a perpetual beta tester. If you're on the fast ring, and you're NOT downloading and attempting to install every fast ring release, you're Doing It Wrong. Tell the world and Microsoft about the problems you encounter, but don't tell others to stay away from the release. Trouble and anxiety are part of what you signed up for.

Rant ends.

GTiceman

I fully understand I signed up for beta testing.

I've been beta testing Windows since Windows 95.

But this is the WORST update I have ever seen.

I got it updated finally yesterday morning and then wished I hadn't.

Took several tries to get it to boot and when I got to the Lock Screen I could not enter my pin number.

There is a shield over the text entry box.

When I hit Cntrl / Alt / Delete the shield goes away and I can finally enter my pin.

Last night it would not shut down.

Left it running for 30 minutes with the spinnin icon and " shutting down " but it never did.

Finally had to just shut of the power and hope it didn't screw it up worse.

This morning took 3 tries to get it to cold boot. Well the first try it was cold, technically not on the 2nd and 3rd tries.

NONE OF THIS HAPPENED BEFORE THE UPDATE.

And people are screaming about it on the Insider.

I'm not the only one.

Usually, I'm in the same position as the people telling me their update went fine, because mine did and I'm reading messages from people having trouble.

This time it's my turn to have an update majorly screw things up.

I post for several reasons: to let people know who haven't updated that it might be a good idea to wait until Microsoft fixes it / to see how many others are having the same kind of problem(s) / to see if anyone knows how to fix it.

And I have installed every update on the Fast Ring. All worked well until Friday when the update failed the first two times and then finally installed on Saturday.

Yes I signed up for possible trouble but I see nothing wrong in warning others that it is a bad release. Not the first bad release either on this iteration of Windows but the others didn't cause as much trouble for as many people as this one is. Just like this one ... some people had no trouble ( including me ) and now many people are having trouble ( including me ). :)

Oh, I forgot, this is on my desktop. My Surface Pro is still running 8.1. But my phone is on the latest release of W10 for phones. No problem there either.

==============
Mine works flawlessly. I think it made things smoother on all my systems

Arizona Willie

I'm happy to hear that.

Hope 100 million others have the same luck :)

Seems there is a possibility my virus program Avast Premier may be responsible.

Some say they had to remove AVG / AVAST.

There was that problem on an early version but AVAST fixed it. Maybe it's back. Too soon to tell.
But I'm not going to remove it unless there is a much stronger indication that it is the problem.
I doubt it is causing the boot problems because it doesn't get far enough to load any programs.

Hopefully Microsoft will fix these problems soon, for those of us who have them.

I very well understand the problem of making a complex OS work with all the tens of thousands of different hardware configurations out there, as well as all the potential software conflicts etc. etc.

================

Mine works flawlessly. I think it made things smoother on all my systems

After 547 installed, my AVG internet Security won't fully load. Been waiting 2 weeks for AVG elevated tech support to help. I let AVG support remote access my system, they did all sorts of "fixes" which didn't work, so they "elevated it" to advanced support. Still no response from them. If I didn't have a 2 yr subscription, I'd dump them.

Oldsalt

I had that problem under 8.1 with my dad's camera... had to get a USB card reader for it to work. Different brand of camera though... clearly the interface/controller chip used in some cameras is lacking.
Hi Greyfox7,
I have recently found out that Fujifilm will be releasing an updated firmware for their cameras. Predicted release date is sometime in December.. Lets hope this will resolve the matter?

David

Arizona Willie

Canon's answer when asked about drivers for new OS is usually ' buy our new model '.

That was their answer when Windows 7 came out and they wouldn't make drivers for the Canon multi-function laser printer I had.

They just want to force you to buy another printer.

Well it worked.

I bought a new BROTHER Multi-function laser printer and THEY have made drivers for every new OS. W8 / W8.1 / W10.

If and when I need a new printer or just get a new one for the new abilities I will definitely go to Brother.
I can get color laser multi-function printers now for about what this old black only cost.

HP and Canon both suck.
========

I have an issue with Cannon and that some of their printers don't have W10 drivers like my MP620B

GTiceman

Canon's answer when asked about drivers for new OS is usually ' buy our new model '.

That was their answer when Windows 7 came out and they wouldn't make drivers for the Canon multi-function laser printer I had.

They just want to force you to buy another printer.

Well it worked.

I bought a new BROTHER Multi-function laser printer and THEY have made drivers for every new OS. W8 / W8.1 / W10.

If and when I need a new printer or just get a new one for the new abilities I will definitely go to Brother.
I can get color laser multi-function printers now for about what this old black only cost.

HP and Canon both suck.
========
I know Canon is a PITA about it. Love their products but hate that about the support.