What's new

Solved Offline maps include satellite view?

Plantje

I asked a question regarding the offline maps as I am curious to know if they include satellite view. Unfortunately some Indian lady gave me a reply (which is useless) so now I will never hear from it again :(

Does anyone here have a clue?

Please see my question here

OP
Plantje

Plantje

So you think the offline maps do contain satellite view as well? I don't really mind if not. I'm just curious

Yillbs

So you think the offline maps do contain satellite view as well? I don't really mind if not. I'm just curious

While I understand you " just want to know ", did you even bother to read the post he gave you ? It answers your question, in pretty good detail, with images to show for it. Please ensure you read the answers you are given to questions that have been asked / answered in the same thread. No excuse for missing that, other than just not reading.

Thanks!

OP
Plantje

Plantje

While I understand you " just want to know ", did you even bother to read the post he gave you ? It answers your question, in pretty good detail, with images to show for it. Please ensure you read the answers you are given to questions that have been asked / answered in the same thread. No excuse for missing that, other than just not reading.

Thanks!
While I understand you think it is nice to bash people like this did YOU even bother to actually read the post? It doesn't state that satellite view is downloaded as offline map as well does it?
And yes, I admit: I didn't read through all 453 pages...did you?

So please ensure that the question at hand is really answered before you start putting someone down.

Yillbs

While I understand you think it is nice to bash people like this did YOU even bother to actually read the post? It doesn't state that satellite view is downloaded as offline map as well does it?
And yes, I admit: I didn't read through all 453 pages...did you?

So please ensure that the question at hand is really answered before you start putting someone down.

I wasn't bashing you, but it makes the forums cluttered, and threads longs, and then people who think 400 pages is to big, wont' read it :) . The images he posted show he's using ONLINE maps when viewing the images. It also shows the size of the offline stored images, which usually don't go above 50MB , I used my basic understanding of computers to come to the conclusion, their is no way they were able to put an image the entire size of a state, and all road signs / roads / etc in a 50MB file. Sorry if you felt i was bashing you, not my intention at all.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

I wasn't bashing you, but it makes the forums cluttered, and threads longs, and then people who think 400 pages is to big, wont' read it :) . The images he posted show he's using ONLINE maps when viewing the images. It also shows the size of the offline stored images, which usually don't go above 50MB , I used my basic understanding of computers to come to the conclusion, their is no way they were able to put an image the entire size of a state, and all road signs / roads / etc in a 50MB file. Sorry if you felt i was bashing you, not my intention at all.
I am active on quite some forums and I know that some things apply in general and others differ per forum. For example: on one forum it is expected that people open their own thread for every question they have. After an answer is given de thread is closed. Replying to an existing thread with a similar question is regarded as rude. On other forums the moderators want to reuse threads as much as possible.
Pointing out someone should read a response, because the answer is obviously in there is something I have done in the past as well. No worries, I don't have a grudge or anything, just wanted to defend myself :)
The maps of the Netherlands (which is really a small country) are about 370MB. So if that only covers the non-satellite data it is quite large :)

@Plantje

When using offline maps, it appears you must be online to get satellite photo access.
Thank you for that answer.

In general: I'll try to stay more relaxed :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The map files seem large - but because I am in the mapping business (geophysics), I am surprised at the richness of the quality and context of the maps, and the performance of the app. Lots of information in relatively small files.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

I completely agree with that. Microsoft did a good job there and I think the Maps app for Windows 10 Mobile for example is really a great navigation tool! It's very much like Microsoft Autoroute/Streets and trips where I left it when they dropped support for that one.

I am thinking of building a decent mount for my Surface 3 in the car for using the tablet as navigation system as well. But I think it is quite large... Perhaps I'll just build in my Archos Cesium 80 and use a bluetooth GPS device that I have somewhere. Only thing is that I need to use GPS Direct if I want to use that. Why doesn't Microsoft support using an external GPS device out of the box?