What's new

Offline News App for Surface

stufried

I would like to switch to a Surface. I currently carry an iPad and a laptop. I know Surface apps are weak right now, but I'd like one device rather than two. I'm looking for a good offline app to read the news and various updates on planes (without wifi). I use Zite on iOS. Flipboard also has an iOS app. I pay for the Washington Post, but they don't seem to have a Surface app. I'm recognizing that I may need to change to a different newspaper or reader platform, but am looking for suggestions.

leeshor

I can only assume you really do mean Surface and not Surface Pro, in which case you may be correct. If you are looking at RT, (Surface) it has been discontinued.

OP
S

stufried

I was using the phrase "Surface" inartfully and apologize. I mean Intel based Surface units (not RT). I haven't purchased but was debating between the Surface 3 (non-Pro) and the waiting for the Surface 4 (non-Pro). My thought was that the larger screen size, fan, and weight made it a worse tablet even though I appreciate it would make it a stronger notebook.

leeshor

In that case your statement about the app selection being weak is not the case. Anything that would/could run on your desktop Windows would work. Either on the Surface Pro or the Surface 3.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Flipboard has a Windows MUI App, the MSN News App supports offline and many others....

jrioux

I pay for the Washington Post, but they don't seem to have a Surface app. I'm recognizing that I may need to change to a different newspaper or reader platform, but am looking for suggestions.
Doesn't the Post let you read it from a browser? You can use any Windows browser on either the new Surface 3 or the Surface Pro.

jaekqubp

Flipboard for Windows 8 MUI works fine for me. For reading news articles offline, I use a third party Readability client. Windows has its own built in Reader, as well, but I happen to like Readability. Additionally, there is always the option of saving to PDF, though this may be cumbersome for your purposes.

I prefer News360 to Flipboard, and it's available from the Windows Store. As for The Washington Post, it was an easy matter for me to install Bluestacks and using it, install The Post app on my Surface from the Amazon App Store.

I tried Bluestacks, but prefer AmiDuOS which is pay, but costs a whopping $9.

Problem solved.

AmiDUOS is great if you're trying to replicate an Android look for your device. I prefer Bluestacks because I can pin individual Android apps on the Windows Start menu or desktop like a native Windows app. But I've tried both and like certain things about both of them.