What's new

On buying the Surface 2

kristalsoldier

Hi...

For those of you who have bought the Surface RT within the last 9 months or so, and who have either pre-ordered the Surface 2 or are seriously considering buying the Surface 2 within 30 days of the date of its release, my question is this:

Aside from the fact that you may have spare cash, what is the main reason (or the main reasons) as to why you either ordered the Surface 2 or will do so within 30 days of its general availability? How would the Surface 2 allow you to do what you already do with your Surface RT better?

Thanks

Edit: While this question does NOT apply to those - like Jeff (jnjroach) - who are getting the Surface 2 through promotion events etc., however, your opinions as to how it has (or will) improve your work/ use are valuable. If possible (and if so inclined) please do share them.

Last edited:

oion

It's a variety of factors for me, a gestalt. I bought my RT in February 2013, and I've been quite satisfied with it. So why upgrade?

For one, the combined improvements are enough that the 2nd gen is a distinctly new peak; I try to buy at "peak" for mobile devices, though not bleeding edge, so it'll retain more value over the years. I keep mobile devices for a very long time by normal standards (no upgrading every 1-2 years). By peak, I don't mean only performance. The higher GB capacity means more growing space (mine is 32GB RT), 2-position kickstand means greater flexibility in setting, higher screen quality is fine though not a huge deal to me, greater battery life is always a plus, lighter is a plus (I'm all for ultramobility) and of course, performance. The built-in potential for fine pen input with the Tegra 4 is a possible plus, but I'm not banking on it. I also prefer silver/grey over the dark matte RT, which is a ridiculous fingerprint magnet. Device peaks are also usually at least one year apart, but Pro breaks that pattern and I got my RT late enough that a year hasn't passed. Under normal circumstances I would wait for every other generation--sometimes more.

Importantly, and alongside the above, right now the 1st gens retain enough value to be resold decently at auction compared to trade-in. I have experience with eBay, so that's not a problem. The "spare cash" reasoning is cogent here, because you won't end up paying as much, so to speak.

Contrast this situation with another that happened to me many years ago. I imported a customized $2500 subnotebook from Japan. Less than two weeks later, the price fell and a new model was released. Besides the annoyance of trying to resell (back when the market simply didn't understand "ultraportable"), it turned out that the new model had very minimal upgrades: built-in wifi (back in the PCMCIA days), maybe bluetooth, but nothing groundbreaking. The case and all other primary hardware specs were identical or had slightly higher options (like HDD capacity). So my buyer's remorse there was only for the price cut, but oh well.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

@Oion...Thanks. Very interesting! One question: Will you be getting the 32GB version for the Surface 2 also (like your current RT)?

oion

@Oion...Thanks. Very interesting! One question: Will you be getting the 32GB version for the Surface 2 also (like your current RT)?

No, I preordered the 64GB. If I had the 64GB RT already, then that's a point off the sum.

Basically, lots of minor-to-moderate improvements across the board in combination with current valuation of 1st gen is what pushed me over. If the improvements were half the number, or even more minor, or whatever, the "points" wouldn't have added up for me. But that's just my thinking, of course. Some people really want the latest and greatest all the time.

Last edited:
I pre-ordered the Surface 2 with 64GB and Type 2 keyboard. The reasons for ordering Surface 2 are quite reasonable for me:

1. This is my first tablet and I needed a very light weight and attractive tablet with a long battery life to last for at least 9-10 hours
2. I needed to experience Windows 8.1 and see if I can later upgrade my laptop from Windows 7, so I needed to test drive Windows 8.1
3. I am going on vacation end of this year and I did not want carry with me my 17" HP laptop (about pounds)
4. I thought it was a great deal to get the much improved Surface 2 with a free Skype for one year and a free MS Office 2013
5. Last reason is my assumption that Microsoft will have to make Surface 2 a big success story after their first attempt, so the Surface this time will be really more advanced, reliable and priced competitively.

oion

I pre-ordered the Surface 2 with 64GB and Type 2 keyboard. The reasons for ordering Surface 2 are quite reasonable for me:

1. This is my first tablet and I needed a very light weight and attractive tablet with a long battery life to last for at least 9-10 hours
2. I needed to experience Windows 8.1 and see if I can later upgrade my laptop from Windows 7, so I needed to test drive Windows 8.1
3. I am going on vacation end of this year and I did not want carry with me my 17" HP laptop (about pounds)
4. I thought it was a great deal to get the much improved Surface 2 with a free Skype for one year and a free MS Office 2013
5. Last reason is my assumption that Microsoft will have to make Surface 2 a big success story after their first attempt, so the Surface this time will be really more advanced, reliable and priced competitively.

No offense, but you missed the point of the thread. :) This isn't about first-time buyers but specifically people who already own the Surface RT. Due to the short release cycle between the Surfaces' 1st gen and 2nd gen versions, OP is asking why someone would upgrade from RT to 2.

The differences between Pro 1 and Pro 2 are more drastic (biggest is battery life) than the more iterative upgrade from RT v1 to RT v2, so one could argue the upgrade from Pro 1->2 more easily though the release cycle is much shorter than normal for the Pro. But from RT to Surface 2? OP wants to know the reasoning behind from people like me who are going that route.

:shocked: You are right Oion, I missed the point on this one. I guess we need another thread On First Time buyer of Surface 2!

oion

:shocked: You are right Oion, I missed the point on this one. I guess we need another thread On First Time buyer of Surface 2!

No worries, it's not the usual question for someone to ask (OP). :p

I await user comments on this forum when people start receiving their new devices, though! :)

oion

Op, I see you still on the fence..lol stop resisting and go on and get that Surface2. ;)

That's the feeling I get too. :p If you're going to end up pining that much, then make the effort to resell and buy when it releases. Though I think it's too late for preorder now.

It really comes down to how much of a practical upgrade it is, which is a personal assessment. Sometimes price ends up being the big limitation, and there are certainly people who are buying 1st gen.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Can't resell for a variety of reasons. Price is not a problem. But my desk is starting to look a bit ridiculous...iPad4 + Nexus 10 + Surface RT (and Surface 2, if I do opt for it) + Nexus 7 (coming next week) + Kindle (1st Gen - fully functional) + ThinkPad X230 (gift to be received on Nov.1) + Nokia 720 + Samsung S3 (hand-down) + ThinkPad R400 (old, but fully functional, machine) + Lenovo H520S (dual monitor desktop machine - customized to some degree).

But, I am tending towards getting the Surface 2 - and I have 2 reasons - (1) kickstand - 2 levels (big deal for me); (2) better battery life (the current one gives me about 8 hours with BT and Wifi on + screen at about 40% brightness, which is not really good enough for my purposes).

Edit: I think I will decide once and for all AFTER I install 8.1 and test drive it for a while.

Last edited:

oion

Can't resell for a variety of reasons. Price is not a problem. But my desk is starting to look a bit ridiculous...iPad4 + Nexus 10 + Surface RT (and Surface 2, if I do opt for it) + Nexus 7 (coming next week) + Kindle (1st Gen - fully functional) + ThinkPad X230 (gift to be received on Nov.1) + Nokia 720 + Samsung S3 (hand-down) + ThinkPad R400 (old, but fully functional, machine) + Lenovo H520S (dual monitor desktop machine - customized to some degree).

But, I am tending towards getting the Surface 2 - and I have 2 reasons - (1) kickstand - 2 levels (big deal for me); (2) better battery life (the current one gives me about 8 hours with BT and Wifi on + screen at about 40% brightness, which is not really good enough for my purposes).

Edit: I think I will decide once and for all AFTER I install 8.1 and test drive it for a while.

Huh. Why do you need all those separate devices, anyway? I see your problem, though. You're a collector, which is weird given that MS has been positioning Surface products to simplify and consolidate device usage. Keep one mini-type for bedside reading and then get a Surface Pro to replace all the laptops. Sell all the others for some cash back and to clear space.

:p