What's new

On buying the Surface 2

kristalsoldier

Ok...guys...

Here is the deal. I am going to see if my local B&M has the Surface 2 in stock. If it does then I will get it.

Since I already have the Surface RT which is hooked up to my Outlook account, I want to know what would be the most seamless and painless way to transfer everything over to the new device AND how to clean up the RT such that a close family member (who already has an Outlook account) can set it up the way.

A few detailed steps would be most helpful.

Thanks

demandarin

Well for the first one I would think skydiver method would be easiest. If you pull up charm bar. Then PC settings. Then skydiver. Then sync settings, everything should be ON by default. Or if theres certain things you don't want backed up or synced, turn it off. But it says you can restore the back and setting, etc...to whatever new PC once you sign in and start the Restore process on new device. For more details, look in the help or go to skydiver website to look at FAQ.

Now for cleaning your RT pull up charm bar. Then PC settings. Then update and recovery. Then recovery. You will see option to recycle PC and reinstall windows fresh. In other words a factory reset and it should be ready to go for new owner after that.

I see you couldn't wait...hahahahaha

oion

About bloody time.

:p

P.S.: And since you didn't register your RT before, you don't need to un-register it for the next person, I guess.

oion

And, can I name the new Surface with the same name as the old one?

I don't see why not. Well, I don't know if that'd cause problems if you're trying to access the same network/share/stuff at the same time, but you can always change the computer name later after setup.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Thanks. Yes, it worked, no problem. I'll have a review up shortly. Downloading apps and a firmware update at the moment.

Suffice it to say, I am glad I bought the S2 - though I had planned to get a 32 GB, but the stupid store only had a 64GB machine. So, I got that. Oh well!

But the interesting was that when I was getting the device, there were around 8-10 people actively looking at the Surface and while I was there one guy bought a Surface Pro2 and another guy got the Surface 2. So, in about 10 minutes, 3 Surface devices were sold!!!! Not bad!

oion

Thanks. Yes, it worked, no problem. I'll have a review up shortly. Downloading apps and a firmware update at the moment.

Suffice it to say, I am glad I bought the S2 - though I had planned to get a 32 GB, but the stupid store only had a 64GB machine. So, I got that. Oh well!

But the interesting was that when I was getting the device, there were around 8-10 people actively looking at the Surface and while I was there one guy bought a Surface Pro2 and another guy got the Surface 2. So, in about 10 minutes, 3 Surface devices were sold!!!! Not bad!

Yes. Yes, I'm certain you were thoroughly unhappy about that inconvenience. ;)

As to the last bit--nice indeed. MS definitely did a whole lot better with the marketing this time around, that's for sure. Still not perfect, but now people should have a better understanding of what the hell they are. And then, of course, the 2nd gen improvements.

demandarin

looking forward to your review. since you just got device, I figure it might take at least a few days or charge cycles to get a true feel of battery life. it has to go through a few full cycles to fully calibrate/break in.

Enjoy it though, no rush. Congrats!

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Thanks! I registered the device - though not the Type cover. No need for that I think.

Yes, I need to put the S2 through its paces. So, maybe it will take me a couple of days to post the review. The interesting thing is that I am scheduled for a long trip overseas, which will really test the S2.

Btw, I also signed up for the 200GB SkyDrive deal - though I am quite sure I won't need that amount of space.

Off the bat, I love the screen of the S2 and the quickness of the device. Makes a lot of difference, I think.

In so far as the weight and thickness are concerned - Either it is really noticeable OR maybe I am imagining things. I certainly felt it was lighter and thinner and so did the person who accompanied me to the store.

All in all, I think it was a good decision to go with the S2 - the revamped kickstand!!!! Yes!!!!!

Edit: Btw Jeff, if you are reading this: Exposing the Charms menu works brilliantly with the S2 and the new Type Cover!!!!

Last edited: