What's new

On my 3rd Docking Station, and this one ain't working either

OP
tuchas

tuchas

I have the same problem, I'm at my second docking station, the only thing that work is charging.
I stopped at the Microsoft store, they tried everything, no luck.
Apparently it's the contacts from the dock to the tablet, something in the tablet plug is bad. They ask me to reset the surface pro 3 to find more about the problem, but first I want to be sure everything is backup, then if that doesn't work, they will exchange the Surface. So I will know more during the coming week.

On my second SP3. I highly doubt the tablet connection is the problem. Beware of what they tell you at the Microsoft stores - most (but not all) of the employees are clueless.

GegeNY

On my second SP3. I highly doubt the tablet connection is the problem. Beware of what they tell you at the Microsoft stores - most (but not all) of the employees are clueless.
After trying 3 different docking stations and everything else, updates etc, if after a reset to factory it still doesn't work on any station, it has to be the connection I guess. Also the charging light doesn't light sometime, I have to squeeze harder the dock to have the light.

ChiGGz

1. I cannot boot up the SP3 in the dock. It freezes at the "Surface" screen. I have to do a hard power down before rebooting, which is probably wreaking havoc on the OS. Booting unlocked first is the only workaround, but why should we have to do this nonsense?

FWIW, I had this freeze at surface screen without the dock. Would happen if I cold booted with the SP# off for a couple hours. Same fix as you, shut it down forcefully and brought it back up without issue. I've since returned my SP3 and got another one which is going strong.

OP
tuchas

tuchas

FWIW, I had this freeze at surface screen without the dock. Would happen if I cold booted with the SP# off for a couple hours. Same fix as you, shut it down forcefully and brought it back up without issue. I've since returned my SP3 and got another one which is going strong.

That has happened to me as well, but ONLY after shutting it DOWN while docked and restarting undocked. Only happened a few times like this. But it never happened when the dock was not used beforehand. I was out of town all week on business with the SP3 and I never had this issue.

OP
tuchas

tuchas

In any event, the entire matter has been escalated all the way to the top of support, or so I am told, and someone is supposed to call me this week to help figure it out. Personally I believe it's just the majority of docks out there are bad. If that wasn't the case, why would they just have us throw out the defective docks after sending us replacements? Sounds like some of you have had better luck than the rest of us, so if you don't mind, I'd like to get the lot #s and UPC codes on your docks so I have something to talk to MS about.

JimB

I have to power on or off outside of the dock. It doesn't like hibernating or coming back on while docked.

zhenya

I have had no issues with my dock. I can shutdown/boot fine. I use the same Logitech receiver, and have every USB port filled.

Tell me where to locate the numbers of relevance and I'll post them.

HarnessTech

I don't know, HarnessTech, but you seem to be one of the few with a working dock. Is there a batch number of some sort on the box that you can reference? Just curious because the batch number of the third one that MS just sent me is a LOWER number than the 2nd one they gave me. Don't know if that's the issue but worth a shot.

The first one was batch #1426. The second (working) one is batch #1441.

olimjj

I have had no issues with my dock. I can shutdown/boot fine. I use the same Logitech receiver, and have every USB port filled.

Tell me where to locate the numbers of relevance and I'll post them.
It is on the label affixed to the Microsoft packaging box that contained your Dock.

My lot number is 1431
I believe the first 2 digits represent the year and the last 2 digits represent the week # of production

zhenya

It is on the label affixed to the Microsoft packaging box that contained your Dock.

My lot number is 1431
I believe the first 2 digits represent the year and the last 2 digits represent the week # of production

Ah that sticker is underneath another sticker with a barcode on it. Lot # 1433