What's new

On/Off problems since I got the surface pro 3

Dave Whybrow

When I first got my surface pro3 there was an issue when it was connected in the docking station, since then I get intermittent problems. If it's not me getting "oops there's a problem" blue screen Its now not installing updates. Frequently when I turn it on when docked, it goes straight to automatic repair (when undocked its always fine).

When I last had updates to install, it failed with 0x80073712 error message so I ran the windows troubleshooter and it fixed three issues. Now it doesn't fail but it's a 13.2MB file and its been stuck at 5% for about 30 minutes.

I've frequently had to use the recovery key and it's really doing my head in! anyone know of a permanent solution (other than return it and trade in for a MAC!)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As above. Sounds like you've a faulty unit (although there are certainly known issues with the dock).

Permanent solution would be to have it replaced for one that works as suggested by greyfox. Don't go and do something drastic because of one bad experience :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
On second thought you may try doing a Reset although it sounds more like a hardware issue. If you're going to replace it you should do a Reset first before sending/taking it back so it wouldn't be a wasted effort in any case.

OP
D

Dave Whybrow

Thanks all, to be honest I do love the surface...I just want it to work. I've managed to install all updates bar one which is the security patch for .NET, the most important one.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure how frequent these problems are but it doesn't sound like it's going away. I recommend biting the bullet and getting this resolved once and for all within the next week. Do the Reset and if any problems occur get it replaced.

I liken this frustration to the amateur golfer who hits a bucket of 100 balls at the practice range... 99 of them are bad and the last one is a good shot. he immediately declares "I got it" and rushes to buy another bucket and proceeds to hit 100 more bad shots and leaves in total frustration. (True story by the way) In this case the frustration is not your fault, it just is, but the good news is there's a solution to your problem, embrace it. :) The poor golfer on the other hand is doomed as he's practicing hitting bad shots and has perfected it. :D