What's new

On Screen keyboard does not appear

Plantje

Most likely you're not in tablet mode. I'm still looking for a way to get the keyboard to pop up when entering a field while not in tablet mode. That's how it worked in Windows 8.1

Plantje

Just checked it... I have the same issue on my Surface 3 :( However, if I detach the keyboard (and go to tablet mode in that way) it does work

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Settings - Devices - Typing
upload_2016-10-10_9-8-0.png

Works for me on my S3 and SP4.....

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It depends entirely on what the text field is that you're interacting with. It is up to third party software developers to allow for the keyboard to popup automatically.

Milka

Also having this problem all of a sudden! All the usual tricks (disconnect type cover, etc.) not making any difference. All of the settings that I'm aware of around tablet mode for the on screen keyboard are correct. Restart not fixing it either. Oh, and this is occurring even for the login screen, so I suspect something is well and truly busted.

Bloody annoying how MS can't seem to keep all of the bits working all of the time with these things.

Plantje

It depends entirely on what the text field is that you're interacting with. It is up to third party software developers to allow for the keyboard to popup automatically.
I tested a few fields on different websites: Surface 3 set to tablet mode with the type cover connected: nothing. Type cover detached: same fields happen to pop up the ons screen keyboard.

Also having this problem all of a sudden! All the usual tricks (disconnect type cover, etc.) not making any difference. All of the settings that I'm aware of around tablet mode for the on screen keyboard are correct. Restart not fixing it either. Oh, and this is occurring even for the login screen, so I suspect something is well and truly busted.

Bloody annoying how MS can't seem to keep all of the bits working all of the time with these things.
Do you use a pin or a password to sign in? With the pin I haven't seen this behaviour.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tested a few fields on different websites: Surface 3 set to tablet mode with the type cover connected: nothing. Type cover detached: same fields happen to pop up the ons screen keyboard.

Hmm. I've not encountered this before. Have you attempted to re-install type cover drivers? Only thing I can think of I'm afraid and it'll probably yield no results.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The key is that it works only when the keyboard is unattached or folded back...with the setting above it doesn't need to be in Tablet Mode.

This is by design.

Plantje

Yes, but that's more or less the other way around if you catch my drift... ;)

Does it work for you to keep the Type Cover attached and activate tablet mode manually. Will an on screen keyboard pop up as soon as you touch a text entry field?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but that's more or less the other way around if you catch my drift... ;)

Does it work for you to keep the Type Cover attached and activate tablet mode manually. Will an on screen keyboard pop up as soon as you touch a text entry field?
Weird....I wonder if the language packs are causing this behavior...