What's new

Solved On-screen keyboard is half-size!

Cindy P

Yesterday afternoon, after some automatic updates, first of all my SP3 shut down and restarted. At least I think this was the case because I actually left the room for a bit, and when I came back the screen was dark and it took a while for it to come back on. I plugged it in just in case it was a low-battery issue, but it still took several minutes for it to wake up. When it did, I had to enter my password info again, and normally when it goes to sleep I have it set to not have to do that.

What I have noticed since then, for one thing, is that my onscreen keyboard is now half the size it should be. It's about half the width of the longest screen dimension, centered in the middle. Even when I expand it to "full size" there is a lot of extra black space on either side. I have tried to check all my settings and can find nothing to fix this. My hands are too big to comfortably type on a keyboard this small. It's almost like typing on my phone.

Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do to fix this?

r0b123

Occasionally see this too when I'm switching between portrait and landscape with the on screen keyboard up. As jeff noted, a reboot fixes it.

OP
C

Cindy P

I have rebooted multiple times, but that isn't working. I am attaching a couple of screen shots of what it looks like.

Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (7).png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK....then it is going to be software or driver related, to start, remove the last set updates and reboot and then apply them one at a time....

kundas1

its because you moved the keyboard, just press on the line beside the X and it will go to full keybaord

OP
C

Cindy P

its because you moved the keyboard, just press on the line beside the X and it will go to full keybaord
No, when I press the line (which has a box indicating it will maximize), it only fills the rest of the space with black, as in one of my photos.
Screenshot (5).png Screenshot (7).png

OP
C

Cindy P

OK....then it is going to be software or driver related, to start, remove the last set updates and reboot and then apply them one at a time....

Is a reboot different than a restart? I've uninstalled all updates from the suspected point on, and I restarted, but it didn't work.

kundas1

ok then I'm stumped, LOL no a reboot is the same as a restart, what you can do is try the 2 button restart method and reinstall without overwriting the files..

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is a reboot different than a restart? I've uninstalled all updates from the suspected point on, and I restarted, but it didn't work.
OK....have you installed any software or added any hardware recently or updated the Intel Video Driver?

OP
C

Cindy P

OK....have you installed any software or added any hardware recently or updated the Intel Video Driver?

It was right after installing my 2010 Office OneNote that the keyboard changed. But there were other updates at the same time, so I can't be sure what it was.