What's new

On-Screen Keyboard, not popping up automatically....

ipaq_101

I have started to use the Firefox and IE 11 more since Chrome does kill the battery quite a bit, this isn't a problem for me now, but it will down the road when I use it to take notes in class. So that is why I am trying to familiarize myself more with Firefox and IE 11.

Using Chrome in desktop mode and without the physical keyboard attached, whenever you select an input field in the browser, the onscreen keyboard automatically pops up.

This doesn't happen in Firefox or IE11 on desktop mode, I have to use the little keyboard button on the taskbar to get the onscreen keyboard to pop up, which is annoying.

I have googled this and all I can find is that it use to work and now it doesn't and that the onscreen keyboard pops up in an input field on the metro versions of fiirefox and IE 11, but not the desktop version.

Any suggestions and or thoughts? Is this something we have to live with or are there any tricks or settings that can help solve this?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is caused by the Windows 8.x Ink and Touch API change, ironically it appears that the IE team to maintain backwards compatibility of the desktop version of the browser with Windows 7 is using the deprecated Windows 7 Ink and Touch API (Firefox as well), so unless they update to the latest it will not work. The Modern UI IE uses the WinRT API and works as expected....

Office 2013 SP1 uses the updated API as well but also maintains a SHIM for backwards compatibility with Windows 7 that occasionally messes up.

OP
ipaq_101

ipaq_101

It is caused by the Windows 8.x Ink and Touch API change, ironically it appears that the IE team to maintain backwards compatibility of the desktop version of the browser with Windows 7 is using the deprecated Windows 7 Ink and Touch API (Firefox as well), so unless they update to the latest it will not work. The Modern UI IE uses the WinRT API and works as expected....

Office 2013 SP1 uses the updated API as well but also maintains a SHIM for backwards compatibility with Windows 7 that occasionally messes up.

bummer