What's new

One man's surface RT experience journal

R0bR

Pretty much any Audio app will continue to play in the background and when the Surface goes to sleep, it wouldn't take much for MS to allow this for their browser.

K4ot1K

I have had my Surface for about a week, and have only had one issue, my phone (Motorola RAZR i) is not supported, so I can't connect to it. Other than that, not a single problem. And the touch cover works flawlessly for me. In fact I seem to type better with it, but I am not an avid typer so this may be the difference. Being a multimedia guy, I mostly us the keyboard for hotkeys more that actual typing.

dallasfreak

Yes there all some issues with the surface......but there were a lot of issues with the first gen iPad. I have had my surface for a little over a month with some issues facing the music app and not having some of my favorite apps especial flipbook .....but I LOVE IT !!!!!! And will buy the SURFACE II .....stay with it Dallasfreak

yeewiz

Was pleasantly surprised that I had no issues setting up my insanely old brother laser printer to print wirelessly from the surface rt.

Can you share how you set up your printer?

Re the covers, I'm with Bergman. Get the Type Cover. I also have both covers and use the Type cover almost exclusively. I occasionally amuse myself and try the Touch cover to see what I'm missing. For me, the difference in thickness of the covers is negligible.

Sin

How did you install an alternate driver? I need to take a look into that. My Canon isn't working from my Surface.

OP
K

kingfetty

Time for another update and ultimately my conclusion...

Day 7

I ended up taking the surface back but not for the reasons I expected. My initial thoughts when purchasing the surface were that windows RT would not hold up and I would need to return it because of the OS. The truth is, Windows RT is amazing and light years beyond android and IOS, it's only a matter of time before the apps catch up. The reason for my return is the very thing I thought would make the surface perfect... The form factor. The surface is well built and designed as a next-gen tablet but does not fill the next-gen laptop role. I kept finding myself very frustrated when trying to use it as a latop replacement, but as a tablet replacement it's perfect.

My suggestion to anyone looking at the surface is quite simple:

If you're looking for a tablet replacement/evolution: The surface is perfect you will be amazed
If you're looking for a laptop replacement/evolution: Look for something with a different form, the surface simply won't do.

I may end up trying another RT tablet with different form factor or just wait for a reliable Atom setup.

bosamar

The RT is an excellent iPad replacement with the added bonus of file management, expandable storage, and Office on the go. It certainly does not take the place of a laptop but I'm positive the Pro version would do much better in that category. I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

OP
K

kingfetty

The RT is an excellent iPad replacement with the added bonus of file management, expandable storage, and Office on the go. It certainly does not take the place of a laptop but I'm positive the Pro version would do much better in that category. I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

Unfortunately, the pro due to identical form factor would not be an ideal fit for a laptop replacement as well. As I stated the limitation is not the hardware or the OS, but rather the inability for the surface to stand on an uneven surface. The only reason I could see the pro succeeding is if the pen input is crazy accurate with hand writing recognition, still most modern pc users are faster @ typing than writing. I wonder if an enterprising young individual should start introducing shorthand for pen input.

BillJ

I am typing this reply with the Surface on my outstretched legs while lying in a chaise. By using the type cover, there is additional stability that I did not find with the touch cover. For me, this works as well as any laptop- even better, because the weight is so much less.

OP
K

kingfetty

I am typing this reply with the Surface on my outstretched legs while lying in a chaise. By using the type cover, there is additional stability that I did not find with the touch cover. For me, this works as well as any laptop- even better, because the weight is so much less.

My issue was more with the surface flopping forward onto the cover while I attempted to type.