What's new

One More microSD Card Question

Series7man

I have read all the threads about the indexing of the microSD cards so that the RT Apps can play music, movies, etc. right from the card and I understand how to do it. My question is can you play a movie or music from the card by just going to the card and click on the movie/music? Will the media play? Does the card have to be indexed to the file system in order to work?

As an example, I put a movie on the card and insert the card in the Surface. If I just open the movie on the card, will it play on the Surface or is the card useless unless it is indexed? I would assume you can copy/cut and paste media from the card to the Surface and vice-versa. True?

Obviously I do not have a Surface yet or I could answer this one myself. I am planning on buying one this week.

Thanks for all the help and I hope this isn't a dumb question!!!:(

compnovo

I have read all the threads about the indexing of the microSD cards so that the RT Apps can play music, movies, etc. right from the card and I understand how to do it. My question is can you play a movie or music from the card by just going to the card and click on the movie/music? Will the media play? Does the card have to be indexed to the file system in order to work?

As an example, I put a movie on the card and insert the card in the Surface. If I just open the movie on the card, will it play on the Surface or is the card useless unless it is indexed? I would assume you can copy/cut and paste media from the card to the Surface and vice-versa. True?

Obviously I do not have a Surface yet or I could answer this one myself. I am planning on buying one this week.

Thanks for all the help and I hope this isn't a dumb question!!!:(

Hey Series7man,
In desktop mode I can go directly into the card and launch any media (photos, music, videos, etc.). The first time you launch the media you will be asked what app you want to use as the default. Indexing is not required.
Regarding copy/paste: yes, you can do so from the card to the desired C drive folder just as you can from a USB thumb drive. However, I leave the SD card in the Surface to save room on the C drive.

R0bR

Most apps, even MS Video app, has the option to 'Open File' where you can select a file from anywhere to play, even a network location. The purpose of the Library is so that it is more automated where your files are just listed without you having to go manually select. If using MS Video app swipe up from the bottom and you'll have 'Open File' on the left side.

OP
Series7man

Series7man

Hey Series7man,
In desktop mode I can go directly into the card and launch any media (photos, music, videos, etc.). The first time you launch the media you will be asked what app you want to use as the default. Indexing is not required.
Regarding copy/paste: yes, you can do so from the card to the desired C drive folder just as you can from a USB thumb drive. However, I leave the SD card in the Surface to save room on the C drive.

compnovo: Thank you very much for the response......and the was the answer I was hoping for!!:smile:

OP
Series7man

Series7man

Most apps, even MS Video app, has the option to 'Open File' where you can select a file from anywhere to play, even a network location. The purpose of the Library is so that it is more automated where your files are just listed without you having to go manually select. If using MS Video app swipe up from the bottom and you'll have 'Open File' on the left side.

RObR: Thank you too for the response! The Surface works no different than my other Windows 7 computers. That make me feel much better!!!:D