What's new

One Note 2013 Issue (W10)

So these past couple days, I have been have a few issues with One Note (desktop application). I do not know if this is due to the fact that I upgraded to Windows 10 last week but I am hoping to find out if other are having the same problem(s).

1) (Mild) After using the eraser button shortcut on the SP3 pen, the OneNote application fails to go back to using ink once the button is released. No, my button is not stuck. It is clearly popped out. If I try to start writing (with my cursor showing the eraser icon), then it does indeed erase so it isn't that kind of bug. In order to go back to my ink cursor (the dot), I have to lift the pen high enough from the SP3 so that the cursor (eraser) disappears completely. Then when I bring the pen back, the ink cursor is active and I can resume writing again.

2) (Mild) Every now and then this huge, white square covers up parts of my notes. If I have Rule Lines, they are covered as well. In order to remove them I usually just zoom in/out and the white block disappears. I can even remove the white block piece by piece if I use the pen to "select" (whether by dragging a box or by using the lasso). This problem has always existed (so pre-Windows 10).

/EDIT: I have now included a YouTube video that more clearly explains #2. In this case, it is a black box not a white one as mention however, the problems are exactly the same. I have not encountered this black box until after this post so that was a bit strange. Regardless, you guys have a better idea of what I am dealing with for this problem.

3) (Serious) I have seen my writing disappear completely from time to time. Sometimes its just a word or two. Other times, it can be a whole sentence. One second it is there, the next it is gone. Now I remember in the past when this happened, I just had to scroll up or down or just resume writing and the disappeared ink just magically appears just as it was before. This is not the case now. I have not only tried that, but I tried to: undo/redo, restart One Note, continue writing (including over the empty space where the disappeared ink resided before), zoom in/out. Nothing brings the ink back. There are times when this might happen several times in the same spot (after I repeatedly re-write the missing ink). It appears to happen at random but it can seriously debilitate my note taking especially if I am in the fast paced classroom at my local university.

/EDIT: I have also included a second YouTube video showing the problem of #3. There was a paragraph here that disappeared and that was when I decided to record since the disappearing ink problem sometimes happens multiple times in the same space. You can see how annoying this is, repeatedly re-writing the same material, especially if the chunk that disappears is quite significant.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The ink disappearing was a huge problem in the TP for win 10, but I've not had a reason to ink since may, but it was suggested that all was fixed. Major blow. I do not want to have to resort to MUI onenote again for my work!

gjblack71

I've had this issue as well. On the Microsoft forums I got this reply from a Microsoft person who seemed to know what was going on.

Me:
"I've just installed the windows 10 10240 release and run it with office 365 (onenote 2013 up to date), and have found the disappearing text to be such a pain that I had to roll back to 8.1. "

Them:
"I understand. The O16 preview version is more robust to that bug. We plan to update the O15 client in August with a possible fix that could avoid this bug."

And from another post from someone having the issue:

"This issue is fairly well documented and has been active since before build 9926 in Windows 10. The Windows 10 and OneNote Teams are both aware of this problem, and while there may not seem to be anything going on here, it may very well be possible that they are testing internal builds that are meant to resolve the problem.

The problem is due to palm rest/ rejection on the screen while you are writing with the Surface Pen or your finger. You've come to the right place, @RAWSurfacePro3. If there's going to be a solution found, this is likely the first public place it will be announced.

In that light, if you aren't part of the Windows Insider Program, you might want to join. That's where the (potential) fixes will first show up and where they will be deployed first. It may be a while before this hits mainstream Windows 10.

Also, a potential work around may be lifting your hand up off the screen every now and again as you write in OneNote. Try also moving the OneNote canvas up and down after you write something. Exit and save often. This has been successful for me, and I use OneNote on my SP3 everyday at work; and its been running Windows 10 since October 2014."

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...cacfa31e019?page=8&tm=1437124830297#LastReply

gjblack71

The Microsoft thread I'm monitoring (see post #5) indicates that they (Microsoft) are hoping to have an update tomorrow about this issue. Hope it is a software/firmware fix rather that a "we're still looking at it update" and I can them move to Win 10.

gjblack71

Apparently a patch for office has been released. Do an update (office update) and see if it works. I'll hold off updating to Win 10 until it looks to be good.

OP
M

Modification

Apparently a patch for office has been released. Do an update (office update) and see if it works. I'll hold off updating to Win 10 until it looks to be good.

I have indeed installed the newest updates and, after using One Note for 15 minutes, I have noticed a difference. Now, 15 minutes isn't exactly a large sample size but given the fact that the disappearing ink happened so frequently before (couple times a minute), I believe the problem (#3) has been fixed. If it does indeed happen again, I will post here right away. Time will only tell if problems #1 and #2 follow suit.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have indeed installed the newest updates and, after using One Note for 15 minutes, I have noticed a difference. Now, 15 minutes isn't exactly a large sample size but given the fact that the disappearing ink happened so frequently before (couple times a minute), I believe the problem (#3) has been fixed. If it does indeed happen again, I will post here right away. Time will only tell if problems #1 and #2 follow suit.

Definitely use it more. On the TP I would often be able to go days without any ink disappearing, but that one instance where it did then disappear, led to me losing an important annotation during a lecture that I didn't have time to then re-write etc.

johnj2803

thank for this post. I will monitor the progress as one note is my primary app for school. will be holding off updating to win 10.

StephanM74

Thank you for all the support and fixes, however I still have the same problem on Onenote2013 on Win10 - I also updated yesterday, same issue still... hopefully a fix will come soon