What's new

OneDrive files. What is the position of Microsoft ?

Stephan

I see in the new build that OneDrive, in Windows 10, can't show files that aren't sync. We can only choose the file that we want to sync and they are stored on the HDD.

I think it's a huge mistake and I really don't understand why they did that.

Do you know if they can step back on this position ?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I see in the new build that OneDrive, in Windows 10, can't show files that aren't sync. We can only choose the file that we want to sync and they are stored on the HDD.

I think it's a huge mistake and I really don't understand why they did that.

Do you know if they can step back on this position ?
This is actually one of the most controversial decisions that MS has made on Windows 10. They are doing it for a few of reasons:

1. Telemetry and Feedback that the mere mortal user was unable to fathom that a file listed in the folder wasn't actually there and was just a placeholder. Complaints mounted from enterprise and government customers in offline situations. The scary part of this theory, neither group should be using OneDrive Consumer for file storage.
2. On 16GB devices even the placeholder files (XML based metadata) could consume 2-4GBs of space which is unacceptable for this range of devices.
3. OneDrive Consumer and OneDrive for Business will be merged into a single sync engine and this is the same behavior as OneDrive for Business.

fps_dean

I'm glad I saw this. Now I know after I rollback to 8.1 not to bother with 10.1. I have my music on the cloud and I don't have enough drive space to download it all and the offline files worked great.

Maybe they should abandon 16gb devices. If you only have 16gb of space, I think it's pretty safe to assume that you only use the internet and don't actually save files anyway.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you use Groove Music it will still play all of your Music from your OneDrive even if it isn't in the OneDrive folder in Explorer....

Compusmurf

Microsoft Onedrive group already said they are working on a "newer" version that works better, they mentioned they were hoping to have a better solution in place by EOY.

kristalsoldier

Can someone please tell me how the new avatar of OneDrive works?

Here is the thing: My two machines are on W10 and my desktop machine is still on 8.1. Last evening I uploaded three files to a specific folder on OneDrive - I did this on the 8.1 machine. Now, this folder I have already chosen to sync in W10. But the files that I uploaded yesterday do not appear there. Moreover, when I checked on the web-version of OneDrive (going through the OD site), I don't see those files in the designated folder either!

So, my question is where did those files go? My second question is: So, if I move a file into one of the folders in Onedrive which is set to sync (this on my W10 devices) and I do this on either of my W10 devices, it should - ideally - show up on the web interface of OneDrive too...am I correct? And similarly, if I download and/ or save a file onto a synced folder at the OneDrive website, it should show up on the W10 devices too...am I correct?

Thanks in advance.

stlbud

Can someone please tell me how the new avatar of OneDrive works?

Here is the thing: My two machines are on W10 and my desktop machine is still on 8.1. Last evening I uploaded three files to a specific folder on OneDrive - I did this on the 8.1 machine. Now, this folder I have already chosen to sync in W10. But the files that I uploaded yesterday do not appear there. Moreover, when I checked on the web-version of OneDrive (going through the OD site), I don't see those files in the designated folder either!

So, my question is where did those files go? My second question is: So, if I move a file into one of the folders in Onedrive which is set to sync (this on my W10 devices) and I do this on either of my W10 devices, it should - ideally - show up on the web interface of OneDrive too...am I correct? And similarly, if I download and/ or save a file onto a synced folder at the OneDrive website, it should show up on the W10 devices too...am I correct?

Thanks in advance.
The system needs to be on and connected to the Internet for files to appear in the web version. Did you allow enough time for the files to be copied? If you see blue circular arrows in the corner of the file icon in Windows 8.1, it has not finished copying the file.

kristalsoldier

The system needs to be on and connected to the Internet for files to appear in the web version. Did you allow enough time for the files to be copied? If you see blue circular arrows in the corner of the file icon in Windows 8.1, it has not finished copying the file.

Thanks. Yes, I got a hang of it. I do prefer the way it was on 8.1 though and here's hoping to a more efficient way of working with OneDrive in the very near future.