What's new

OneDrive - Hoodoo or Voodoo?

Telstar1948

After exchanging my SP3 the other day I got everything shipshape on it afterward. Couple of days later I looked in some work files that were on OneDrive (on my computer too). A day later I looked at one or two of those files and...the file folders were there, but the content had vanished! I have an Asus T100 so I opened File Explorer on it and went to OneDrive and...there was the file content missing on OneDrive on my SP3!

Fast forward to Microsoft OneDrive support. Told them my problem. They asked to remote in to my SP3. I agreed. They did arcane things I couldn't even follow as I watched the mouse cursor zoom in all directions, windows open and close like little explosions, then they asked to remote in to my T100. I agreed. Same voodoo watching my T100 - reminded me of looking in a kaleidoscope as a kid.

Ultimately they reset OneDrive in some fashion on the SP3 and T100. The SP3 ground through the OneDrive deal within a short period of time, but still no content in those particular files. I noticed OneDrive on the T100 was still going at it so I left it alone overnight (takes a long time to upload/download stuff between OneDrive and a computer). This morning, I checked my OneDrive folders on my SP3 that had missing content yesterday...boom...today, all content is where it should be.

Some of you probably understand OneDrive completely...me...I don't. I understand the basics, but there's no way I could have unraveled the mess MS Support did by remote-ing into both my computers. To me it's not Hoodoo, but Voodoo. I'm just glad they're practitioners of OneDrive art.

leeshor

That's funny. I support around 125 systems remotely using LogMeIn Central and Pro and my customer tell me all the time how strange it is to see these ghostly goings on on their system.

SteveMac

Sadly many people experience challenges with OneDrive, with either personal of business versions. For me I kept on having sync issues until I unchecked the "Use Office to Sync files faster and work on files with other people at the same time" option within settings.

This (I believe) forces OneDrive to act more like Dropbox, takes a fair bit of the complexity away (especially during file save within office products where you can see the various communication with cloud).

ScottyS

Just to be safe, I back up my OneDrive to a TwoDrive and a ThreeDrive.
Me too. Just lost ALL my files on OneDrive.
Running Win10TP as dual boot, it always had problems with OneDrive; wanted to have its own OneDrive folder, sometimes I had 2 and 3 OneDrive folders. To work-around I put a shortcut to the OneDrive folder on my Win8 partition and used that. One day Win10 told me it couldn't find my OneDrive folder and I pointed it to the OneDrive folder on the Win8 partition. The finanly it worked perfectly, all my OneDrive content (which I have all online BTW, not synced to have copy locally) was there in OneDrive folder in both OSs. Yesterday Win10 again had dialog box after booting that it couldn't find my OneDrive folder so I again pointed it to the one on the Win8 partition, and -bang- it replaced all my files from the Win8 OneDrive, gigabytes of data that were saved on their cloud, with what I had in Win10 which was nothing and now all my files are gone from OneDrive. It is not just the OneDrive folders in Windows. Nothing but a few file moved to OneDrive on my Win10 when I connect to OneDrive via web browser, via iPhone OneDrive app, etc.

Good thing it's all copied on 2 external HDs. I just got a lot to re-upload.

OP
Telstar1948

Telstar1948

After my OneDrive experience above (and my SP3 dying early last week), I obtained Macrium where it's now backing up my entire SSD to an external drive, plus I've kept OneDrive and Google Drive for some software that backs up their own work automatically - redundancy is relevant!