What's new

OneDrive Sync Problem

brosenz

If I remove the Pictures folder from the Sync schedule in OneDrive settings (I do not want the photos on my Surface Book, I just want them uploaded from the phone to be backed up into the OneDrive cloud), I will get a Sync error in OneDrive saying something like the folder already exist in one of the locations and I have to delete it, I do, then the OneDrive sync error goes away for a while, onetheless it will surface again, there is no way to remove the error unless I enable folder Sync for the Pictures folder again, do you have an idea on what could be the root cause and how it can be fixed? Thanks

Orlbuckeye

Well when you sync the picture taken with your Surface Book will sync to Onedrive. The only photes on the Surface book are the one you take with it or copy to it. Onedrive is in the cloud not on your Surface Book. But you can view them on Ondrive from your Surface Book. Your pictures from your phone will be stored in Onedrive in the cloud not on your SB.

ScottyS

I was under the impression that files that are Sync'd exist both on both your SSD on the PC and the cloud and that files or folders not Sync'd would be on OneDrive cloud only.
upload_2016-11-30_12-43-47.png

Orlbuckeye

Syncing means that the files are stored in a specific spot on a device and then moved to Onedrive. You can sync file from one device and they can be viewed on other devices without being on that device. In other words you use one device and it syncs the files to Onedrive. Then you can view those files on any device that has the Onedrive app. You can even modify the file on a different device from the initial sync and see the updated version on all devices. I typically just move the file to onedrive from my phone and don't do a sync.

ScottyS

Files are stored on the PC and copied to OneDrive cloud and kept updated (sync'd) if you make changes to them. But, as the dialog box above says, they take up space on your PC.

Orlbuckeye

Yes but you don't need to copy them to PC. You said the files are on the phone. You can sync from your phone to Onedrive. yes those are the folders that get synced on the PC. You stated the files were on the phone.