What's new

Onedrive too slow

Kris

I signed up for office 365 personal to get unlimited Onedrive space, was using Google and Dropbox. Uploading stuff to it is like watching grass grow. I love the way it is intergrated into Windows 8.1 but they ruined it with Windows 10, no idea if they plan on changing it back. Back to the point I have a 5-6 MB/s upload speed but it just took 5 minutes to upload a 72MB rar file. Did a speed test, showed 5-6MB upload speed, then tried the same file on Dropbox and it took about 20 seconds. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal for Onedrive?

TeknoBlast

I dont see how people are having issues with OneDrive. I never had one issue. I have it synced on all my devices and at work, not once have I ran into a syncing or any issues. Same with my personal Windows Phone and the OneDrive app on my work phone, which is a Galaxy 5S.

benjitek

...Uploading stuff to it is like watching grass grow...
Works great for me, uploading is quite zippy -- sounds like your internet connection's upstream speed more than a OneDrive issue. I have Verizon FiOS, 50 up and 50 down, no issues at all...

NClens

I've noticed that it's extremely slow compared to other systems. For instance, I have a smugmug account for pictures. Uploading JPEGs to smugmug is significantly faster than uploading to onedrive.

OP
K

Kris

Works great for me, uploading is quite zippy -- sounds like your internet connection's upstream speed more than a OneDrive issue. I have Verizon FiOS, 50 up and 50 down, no issues at all...
How is it my internet when speed test came out good and same file took 20 seconds on Dropbox?

spinachpie

I've had issues where Onedrive doesn't sync properly - the MUI Onedrive app being the main culprit.

I think it will eventually be ironed out and work a lot smoother... when it does i'll migrate everything to Onedrive. For the moment I flick between Onedrive, Dropbox and my Google+ photos account for sharing.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Onedrive is a complete pig for me. On a 200mb up and down connection it'll take about 10 minutes to download one 18 page onenote document (a lecture pdf printout).

fletch33

i find One Drive to also be slower than my other cloud storage options when it comes to uploading. i have 1.5 up and for example Dropbox utilizes much of that where One Drive maybe uses 20% of that.

outside of that i really like it

mtalinm

I use both OneDrive and Dropbox (different files). I've had to reformat my machine several times & have watched them download side by side. Dropbox appears far faster in two ways:

1. its indexing is lightning fast, whereas OneDrive seems to spend 10-15 minutes "checking your files" or whatever it's called.

2. it just downloads faster. this I can't explain but it's a consistent result.

my guess is that OneDrive is newer and they have mostly focused on reliability, whereas Dropbox has been around longer and has invested more in speed. I could be wrong, but this is my experience.

OP
K

Kris

I use both OneDrive and Dropbox (different files). I've had to reformat my machine several times & have watched them download side by side. Dropbox appears far faster in two ways:

1. its indexing is lightning fast, whereas OneDrive seems to spend 10-15 minutes "checking your files" or whatever it's called.

2. it just downloads faster. this I can't explain but it's a consistent result.

my guess is that OneDrive is newer and they have mostly focused on reliability, whereas Dropbox has been around longer and has invested more in speed. I could be wrong, but this is my experience.
My issue is do I want to continue paying for snail pace OneDrive or Switch to something like Dropbox or Google? I hear from a friend that he uses Google daily for computer tech work and its the fastest. Unlimited space means nothing when its actually limited to 20k files and moves slower than my grandma. At the moment they are also the same, you can't see offline files on any system and there is no guarantee that that will be fixed anytime soon on Onedrive. I could use Dropbox/Google unrar my pictures and unload them all without worry of going past my files limit. I really want to move to one system instead of bouncing back and forth between multiple clouds.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've have never experienced the OneDrive being slow, I sync between 4 machines on a regular bases and my Project Folder gets multiple changes at least once an hour all throughout the workday, these can range from a few MB to hundreds of MBs.

OneDrive does run asynchronously were Dropbox tends to run synchronously.

They will be updating OneDrive to use the OneDrive for Business Engine in Windows 10 with updates scheduled for October and something to replace placeholders by December.