What's new

OneDrive use cases

For those who have it and use it, what data do you keep out there? If you keep all your data, how much data are we talking about? And why there, data security?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All of my Business Data lives on OneDrive for Business, and all of my personal data lives in OneDrive....

OneDrive -

30GB of family photos
40GB of Music
100GB of files and documents
200GB of back-ups
5GB of OneNote Notebooks

OneDrive for Business -
200GB of Project Files

kristalsoldier

Well, I use OneDrive extensively. I have an entire set of my documentation - papers and manuscripts that I am working on, my digital library, working notes, and other digital documents are on OneDrive. But I also have a copy of all files on OneDrive on a dedicated external HDD which I update regularly.

OneDrive allows me to access all my reference texts and documentation wherever I am. Though, I must add that I do mourn the loss of the placeholder system MS had in W8/ 8.1.

OneDrive also syncs my devices which are all MS devices and so the integration is seamless or near seamless. From the little that I have seen using a test build of W10M on my 640XL, the integration seems to be working especially with the Universal Apps.

If I do drink Satya's koolaid, then I would have to say that while I am indeed attached to my devices (particularly my SP3, S3 and the phones (640XL and 1520), I can see how OneDrive plays a central role in determining how a user's data moves around with her/ him.

Striknine

I use it for business and keep all my data synced so that I have access no matter where I am. Being a mobile employee I use my SP3 and cell phone all day and can access and share files on the go. I also use it for storing Onenote notebooks and it works great for that.
I one issue I do have is I will receive a sync error on files that I haven't opened for some time and older files that I open just to look at briefly. At that point I have to reopen and save it. PITA

Nuspieds

I only make use of my OneDrive for Business account; however, it is significantly under-utilized.

Only my OneNote Notebook is stored there and the rest is gobs and gobs of free space. Meanwhile, I just switched from Amazon Glacier to Google Cloud Storage for my Disaster Recovery backups (PC system image backups and data file backups).

With all that unused OneDrive space, it sure is a shame to be using Google, even though it is cheap. However, with Amazon and Google, I am able to upload a 60GB file without any issues; unfortunately, with OneDrive for Business, they currently have the maximum file size set to 2GB. What nonsense!

I'm not interested in changing my backup configuration to split files into 2GB chunks. Even at 20GB, I'd still not be interested because my current system image backup is 22GB. If they set it to a max of 50GB, then I could work with that, but nothing less.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use it for nothing but onenote, if it even uses onedrive. I've never found a use for cloud storage other than that (it's relative to surface. All my work is done on my surface, which goes everywhere, so no need for it. Usb stick/hdd works just fine for backup for me)

OP
No_ax_to_grind
I only make use of my OneDrive for Business account; however, it is significantly under-utilized.

Only my OneNote Notebook is stored there and the rest is gobs and gobs of free space. Meanwhile, I just switched from Amazon Glacier to Google Cloud Storage for my Disaster Recovery backups (PC system image backups and data file backups).

With all that unused OneDrive space, it sure is a shame to be using Google, even though it is cheap. However, with Amazon and Google, I am able to upload a 60GB file without any issues; unfortunately, with OneDrive for Business, they currently have the maximum file size set to 2GB. What nonsense!

I'm not interested in changing my backup configuration to split files into 2GB chunks. Even at 20GB, I'd still not be interested because my current system image backup is 22GB. If they set it to a max of 50GB, then I could work with that, but nothing less.

Agreed, I have Office 365 and 1TB storage, but the only thing I have up there is pictures and my OneNote files. For big files I use @Sync up in Canada, including moving VMs across the globe.

Office 365 user with my SP3 here so all of my Office docs (lots of job applications prior to landing a job last year), backup of my photo collection with my iPhone backing up it's camera roll to OneDrive, complete copy of my iTunes library.

Ties in with O365 but all of my OneNote note books are on there too with my uni course notes etc. I LIVE in OneNote.

The whole O365 package with Office 2016 on the SP3, unlocked iOS Office apps and 1TB OneDrive storage is fantastic value for money - for my use scenario. Everyone elses mileage will vary of course.