What's new

Onedrive web for backup?

sophie

With Office 365, 1TB is available for cloud storage with Onedrive.
So I thought to use Onedrive web as a backup solution for my PC, instead of an external drive.

But if I delete files or folders from Onedrive web; will those files and folders also be deleted from my PC?

If the answer is yes, maybe Onedrive web is in fact not a great backup solution?
Thanks!

Sophie

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
OneDrive is a good solution for SYNC, but not so good for backup, unless you remain keenly aware that a file deleted from Onedrive is in turn, deleted from the PC.

I like SecondCopy as a backup solution.

ScottyS

OneDrive is a good solution for SYNC, but not so good for backup, unless you remain keenly aware that a file deleted from Onedrive is in turn, deleted from the PC.

I like SecondCopy as a backup solution.
Is this significantly better than just using Windows File History?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Windows File History is good, indeed. I now backup my file history to a very large network drive.
What it lacks is a full "clone" copy of everything. So I also use a 3rd party backup for this.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OneDrive and OneDrive for Business are designed and intended as a solution to allow access to your data from anywhere from any device on any platform....it does well for that purpose. You can with the Selected Sync Client (placeholders replacement currently in beta) have a backup folder that is only available via the Cloud.

But you would need to move to Insider Slow or Fast rings to use it now...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
OneDrive can keep copies of your files, even though they are not taking up space in your local OneDrive folder.

If you right-click on a OneDrive folder, and choose item "Free up space", files will remain on OneDrive but be removed from your local OneDrive folder. You will see the files still listed locally, with a "cloud" icon next to them. Any files you access or use will then be copied locally. This is a good solution to use OneDrive as a backup.