What's new

OneNote 2013 or OneNote (MX)? Which one to use on my SP?

steveashe

Have been using OneNote 2013 since I got my SP about 5 weeks ago. I bought Office 365 which comes with OneNote 2013. I had been burning through physical notebooks for 25 years, and am thrilled to be able to take notes on my SP. No more physical notebooks and great ability to reference notes by account/subject/date. I don't use handwriting recognition, just lots of chicken scratch notes, with a lot of subpages per account (I'm in IT consulting sales). I just noticed that OneNote MX is the same thing but a Windows 8 app? It's not called OneNote MX anymore, just OneNote. Not sure I understand. OneNote (MX) has very cool pen recognition called radius (I think) but now I have two icons on my Win 8 "metro" desktop. OneNote I understand one of them is a Win 8 app, but isn't Office 365 a Windows (8) application? Should I just delete OneNote 2013 and use OneNote?

Thoughts? Thanks very much, I would guess I'm not the only one with this question.

vinumsv

Have been using OneNote 2013 since I got my SP about 5 weeks ago. I bought Office 365 which comes with OneNote 2013. I had been burning through physical notebooks for 25 years, and am thrilled to be able to take notes on my SP. No more physical notebooks and great ability to reference notes by account/subject/date. I don't use handwriting recognition, just lots of chicken scratch notes, with a lot of subpages per account (I'm in IT consulting sales). I just noticed that OneNote MX is the same thing but a Windows 8 app? It's not called OneNote MX anymore, just OneNote. Not sure I understand. OneNote (MX) has very cool pen recognition called radius (I think) but now I have two icons on my Win 8 "metro" desktop. OneNote I understand one of them is a Win 8 app, but isn't Office 365 a Windows (8) application? Should I just delete OneNote 2013 and use OneNote?

Thoughts? Thanks very much, I would guess I'm not the only one with this question.

I Use Both but Metro / Modern Version Seems nicer to use :p and free too :p so why no keep both unless ur 2013 is trial version.

btw its synced

kristalsoldier

I Use Both but Metro / Modern Version Seems nicer to use :p and free too :p so why no keep both unless ur 2013 is trial version.

btw its synced

Is this sync feature only between OneNote MX and the OneNote in Office 365? Or, would the MX version also sync with OneNote 2010 (which I have a part of Office 2010)? I'm in a bit of a strange situation here - My Surface (RT) has Office 2013 (including OneNote), but my laptop - OS is Win 8 Pro - has Office 2010 installed on it. I have been considering the Office 365 option, but have been hesitating for a number of reasons at the moment.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As long as you store your Notebooks on your SkyDrive they will Sync across your machines....

kristalsoldier

As long as you store your Notebooks on your SkyDrive they will Sync across your machines....

Well, I do store my Notebooks on Skydrive, but whenever I try to open them, they always open in OneNote 2010. In fact, there is no option to open in any other format. I also downloaded the OneNote MX app and when I tried opening the Notebooks through that app, I can't.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Open OneNote MX and allow it to Sync, assuming you're using the same Microsoft Account, it takes awhile but they do open.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you clicking on the .one files to open, or are you opening the notebook from within the application? Also you can open them in OneNote 2010 in right click on your Notebooks and click Sync Notebooks now and see if that helps...

kristalsoldier

Are you clicking on the .one files to open, or are you opening the notebook from within the application? Also you can open them in OneNote 2010 in right click on your Notebooks and click Sync Notebooks now and see if that helps...

OK. I got it. Basically, I removed the links to the versions saved on my Skydrive account. I then uninstalled the RT App. Created a folder in Skydrive. Reinstalled the RT App. And then opened each NoteBook (as it appeared in the Documents folder on my HDD on my laptop) and saved to web. I think the basic point is that I needed to avoid trying to use the Skydrive local app to sync. I got this by reading this article: Onetastic for OneNote - OneNote SkyDrive Sync

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, you were using the Desktop Offline SkyDrive Sync which syncs asynchronously and native OneNote syncs synchronously and natively.

ArnoldC

My OneNote documents sync across all my devices, Acer, RT, Windows Phone 8S, Sony Xperia V, without doing anything. It is that easy.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express