What's new

Onenote 2013 vs. 2010

Jabob

I am not sure if 2013 is necessary. I own a copy of 2010, is it worth the upgrade to 2013 OneNote for the surface pro 2? I am a student going into university.

daniielrp

Maybe, if it is something you use a lot then it never hurts to stay on top of updates. In terms of changes, there's not too many major ones, but then again the upgrade price isn't that major either.

The Skydrive integration is good, as it the touch optimisation across all of office 2013 that makes buttons easier to press with fingers.

However I actually find I use the free version from the Windows Store more than the full office one as it is quick and designed with touch in mind throughout.

OneNote app

MickeyLittle

I want to like the free version because it uses less resources/battery but my main gripe is that I can't figure out how to increase the size of the eraser in the free version so it takes a while to erase. The Office version has line erase which is my favorite.

Rvacha

I moved to Outlook 2013 (Office 365 technically) and I am glad I did. While it is still primarily a desktop app, it has made some small but meaningful changes to facilitate touch. The cost of my upgrade was fairly small though due to Office 365 pricing and being able to spread the cost over 4 PCs - you may not find the cost structure as reasonable - but then again I have no idea what the student discounts look like these days

stegzzz

I want to like the free version because it uses less resources/battery but my main gripe is that I can't figure out how to increase the size of the eraser in the free version so it takes a while to erase. The Office version has line erase which is my favorite.

I agree, my workaround is to select a larger selection and then delete.

OP
J

Jabob

The app version of OneNote loses some of the functionality, doesn't it. I think if I were to get the 2013 I would get the home and student version. It come with Word as well which should be useful, and it only adds a little cost compared to just buying OneNote.