What's new

OneNote Assistance please

Bradley Owens

*** I am not sure which forum to post this in, so please let me know if someone else should be helping***

Hello everyone! Thank you in advance for what I'm sure will be great assistance! I have just received a surfacepro3 at work for my new computer. I am trying to learn all about it and utilize some of the features.
In regards to the one note app, I have taken some photos and drawn notes over them to identify different people at a meeting for my colleagues. I cannot seem to find a way to then save that file and send it as a jpg or pdf or anything exportable...
I am the only one at our company with the surface, so I'm not sure how this will work. I cannot seem to screenshot it either as the photo and notes are too large and bigger than the screen.
Any advice and guidance would be amazing.
Thank you so much in advance!

Bradley

NClens

You can just select file and then export in the desktop application. It has various options such as saving to a Microsoft Word file, Adobe PDF, etc.

OP
B

Bradley Owens

You can just select file and then export in the desktop application. It has various options such as saving to a Microsoft Word file, Adobe PDF, etc.

Thank you very much. Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate what you're talking about. I don't understand what I'm missing/doing wrong - but I'm sure it doesn't have to be this difficult - hopefully you can enlighten me! I have taken an example. I can't figure out how to screenshot either at this point, but I'm sure I can do that later today.
Thank you again & hopefully this pic will show you what I'm meaning. There is no place I can click to see any type of exporting etc... I am not sure what you mean about the desktop app, when I click on the app, it just comes up like this.
THank you!!!

Attachments

• 20150203_125618.jpg
    20150203_125618.jpg
    955.9 KB · Views: 449

BillJ

I can see your confusion.

There are 2 separate OneNote applications, one called the "Modern" or MUI" application that you are using.
There is another "desktop" OneNote 2013 that you can download for free from office.com (you will also get this OneNote as part of the Office 365 suite, and that is another story...) It is called "desktop" because it loads into the desktop area, and is not as "touch friendly" as the MUI app.

What can be confusing is that BOTH forms of OneNote synchronize with OneDrive and share the same notes; if you make an edit in one, the changes will show up in the other. The desktop has many more features and better functionality than the MUI (IMHO).

Both apps save images and inking in separate layers; if you try to "copy and paste" an image in OneNote, you will not get the inking that you have added. You can export/print an inked image in the desktop version of OneNote.

Or, you can do what I do: take a screenshot of the inked image (double click the purple pen top), and the resulting OneNote page will contain all the ink over the image. Then just long press, copy, and paste...

Once you do it once or twice it becomes very easy and even second nature. I use this feature every day.

nipponham

In regards to the one note app, I have taken some photos and drawn notes over them to identify different people at a meeting for my colleagues. I cannot seem to find a way to then save that file and send it as a jpg or pdf or anything exportable...
There's a much easier way of accomplishing what you're trying to do. Just take a screenshot by pressing the Windows button on the bezel and the volume down button at the same time. The screen will darken for a second to indicate that a screenshot has been taken, and if you go into your Pictures folder, there will be a folder called "Screenshot". Your PNG file will be waiting for you there and you can attach it to whatever you like.

※This only works if the screen contains everything you want to show.