What's new

Only Asus, Toshiba, Lenovo & Samsung Allowed to Build Windows RT Tabs at First

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
ms-surface-rt.png

According to a Chinese Economic Times article, Microsoft is keeping a tight reign on quality control of their new Windows RT tablets by limiting the initial number of companies that can manufacture the tablets. Of course, Microsoft themselves will be making the Surface, but they are contracting with just a few manufacturers to make other Windows RT tablets. They are initially limiting this to Asus, Toshiba, Lenovo & Samsung. Other manufactures will be allowed to join the fray at Microsoft's discretion in January.

Microsoft basically told the three primary ARM manufacturers, Qualcomm, NVIDIA & Texas Instruments, that they could only pick two OEM partners to work with on the Windows RT tablets. NVIDIA chose Lenovo and Asus, Texas Instruments chose Toshiba and Qualcomm chose Samsung and HP. However, since HP bowed out of the race, Dell will fill in after January.

What do you guys think? Is Microsof overly cautious, or just learning from the mistakes of the industry and playing it smart?

Source: Engadget

Tech

I like Microsoft's new approach, I would prefer if Microsoft made all their own hardware. Most people that i have meet that don't like Windows had a bad first/second experience with it, and i guarantee it was the POS hardware Windows was running on. Look at Dell and HP's common affordable PC's, they have POS GPU's and RAM.
I say let the OEM's get mad, it servers them right... It's there own fault for even considering the trash they have released in the past. They were the ones who left Microsoft looking like a joke (Not to mention making them look bad)... If those OEM's would have done a good job from the beginning, I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't have a problem being partners.

IMO they wouldn't make such huge change up if it wasn't a smart move.