What's new

open notes pdf file on other computer

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, notes made in the Reader app, whether they are written notes or diagrams (I don't know why anyone would think this would make a difference...) show up fine in any program that can open and read PDF, including the standard desktop Adobe Reader.
I have experienced PDF Readers that do not handle ink and highlighting including older versions of Adobe Reader. Much of it has to do with the PDF rendering engine used by the reader. That is why Drawboard has the ability to "flatten" annotations for compatibility across other rendering engines.

nipponham

I have experienced PDF Readers that do not handle ink and highlighting including older versions of Adobe Reader.
Well, I'll admit that I have not tried every single PDF reader out there but every PDF file inked in Metro Reader have so far displayed without issue for myself, work colleagues, and clients.

When you say "older versions of Adobe Reader", how old are you talking about? Months before or years ago? I don't know what versions of Adobe Acrobat/Reader people I work with are using, but I have been inking PDFs in Reader since last September when I purchased SP3, so the versions since then at least work, assuming they were using the latest. If they were using older versions at that time, then compatibility goes back even further.

kristalsoldier

I use Drawboard PDF, not sure of an Online PDF Reader that would support this. Printing or Sending the PDF to OneNote would across devices.

Hi Jeff...about Drawboard PDF...I use it too for reading, annotating by hand etc. But there is one thing that I have noticed. There appears to be a limit as to the number of documents that can reside in the app's memory. Sometimes I find that when trying to open a document, I get a notification saying that "too many files are open" and that I need to "close some files" to continue. Have you come across this?

And, in the context of this thread, I would like to add that I have annotated - by hand - PDF documents (using Drawboard PDF), which I have stored on my OneDrive. I have then used my iPad Air to open those documents (using PDF Expert) and all the handwritten notes show up just fine.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'll admit that I have not tried every single PDF reader out there but every PDF file inked in Metro Reader have so far displayed without issue for myself, work colleagues, and clients.

When you say "older versions of Adobe Reader", how old are you talking about? Months before or years ago? I don't know what versions of Adobe Acrobat/Reader people I work with are using, but I have been inking PDFs in Reader since last September when I purchased SP3, so the versions since then at least work, assuming they were using the latest. If they were using older versions at that time, then compatibility goes back even further.
When you are dealing with other people's computers (especially desktop) I've run into Acrobat Reader v.5, 6 out in the wild, older versions of FoxIT Reader, Sumatra and many Linux Distro's PDF Render's. It isn't as bad as it used to be, I would be careful to assume your experience is true for everyone's machine.

Hi Jeff...about Drawboard PDF...I use it too for reading, annotating by hand etc. But there is one thing that I have noticed. There appears to be a limit as to the number of documents that can reside in the app's memory. Sometimes I find that when trying to open a document, I get a notification saying that "too many files are open" and that I need to "close some files" to continue. Have you come across this?

And, in the context of this thread, I would like to add that I have annotated - by hand - PDF documents (using Drawboard PDF), which I have stored on my OneDrive. I have then used my iPad Air to open those documents (using PDF Expert) and all the handwritten notes show up just fine.
Hey Kristal,

The most PDFs I've had open in Drawboard PDF is around 10, so I haven't experienced that, but I tend to close the PDFs once I reviewed, read, commented, plagiarized, etc. . It would surprise me though, depending on how the utilizing the Memory Controls with WinRT they can set their Cache to maximum size, and as a researcher I'll assume some of your PDF files are quite large. Typically mine are between 60K to 280MB.

kristalsoldier

When you are dealing with other people's computers (especially desktop) I've run into Acrobat Reader v.5, 6 out in the wild, older versions of FoxIT Reader, Sumatra and many Linux Distro's PDF Render's. It isn't as bad as it used to be, I would be careful to assume your experience is true for everyone's machine.

Hey Kristal,

The must PDFs I've had open in Drawboard PDF is around 10, so I haven't experienced that, but I tend to close the PDFs once I reviewed, read, commented, plagiarized, etc. . It would surprise me though, depending on how the utilizing the Memory Controls with WinRT they can set their Cache to maximum size, and as a researcher I'll assume some of your PDF files are quite large. Typically mine are between 60K to 280MB.

Hi Jeff...when you say closed, do you mean swipe down from the top to show the files and then hit the x to remove the files from that horizontally scrolling list? If yes, then yes, I have started doing that recently after I got those messages. As to the size of the files, while some of the files are not more that 100MB in size, most are quite small and lightweight actually (not more than 50MB in size). This surprised me too because I had never come across this issue earlier, but now I do - and I don't experience this with the in-built PDF reader on my SP3. Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jeff...when you say closed, do you mean swipe down from the top to show the files and then hit the x to remove the files from that horizontally scrolling list? If yes, then yes, I have started doing that recently after I got those messages. As to the size of the files, while some of the files are not more that 100MB in size, most are quite small and lightweight actually (not more than 50MB in size). This surprised me too because I had never come across this issue earlier, but now I do - and I don't experience this with the in-built PDF reader on my SP3. Thanks.
I use the "X" to close the file from within Drawboard. I believe that the limited they cache size is a recent "fix" as they were experiencing a Memory Leak that impacted performance especially for ATOM based machines.

kristalsoldier

I use the "X" to close the file from within Drawboard. I believe that the limited the cache size is a recent "fix" as they were experiencing a Memory Leak that impacted performance especially for ATOM based machines.

OK. Thanks. Good to know - especially when I receive my Dell Venue 8 Pro, which I was surprised to learn after the order being confirmed is now in a "pre-production" stage? Pre-production? Really? I assumed that there would be stocked units - but apparently not. Oh well, still a week or so to get to receive the unit.