What's new

open notes pdf file on other computer

maxscalf123

Hello all,

I am not sure if this is possible, but when i open any pdf file on my SP3 and take any notes with the pen it works just fine. I save that file and if i reopen that file all my notes are there but only on my SP3. What i mean is when i open the same file on my desktop or laptop(other than SP3) those notes do not show up.

Is there a way to open my notes that i took on my SP3 to show up on my other computer?, i know we can do this thru one note, but that is not feasible for me as the PDF files i am talking about are in 400-500 pages long.

Is there any solution for this?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you save them to a common storage solution like OneDrive or OneDrive for Business then yes....yes you can. You can depending on the Application you use can also use Dropbox...

malberttoo

Hello all,

I am not sure if this is possible, but when i open any pdf file on my SP3 and take any notes with the pen it works just fine. I save that file and if i reopen that file all my notes are there but only on my SP3. What i mean is when i open the same file on my desktop or laptop(other than SP3) those notes do not show up.

Is there a way to open my notes that i took on my SP3 to show up on my other computer?, i know we can do this thru one note, but that is not feasible for me as the PDF files i am talking about are in 400-500 pages long.

Is there any solution for this?

Yes, exactly what @jnjroach said. I routinely use 3 computers, my SP3 and two other desktops. I save almost all my work to either Dropbox or OneDrive, that way all my stuff is available to me at any given time.

nipponham

@maxscalf123
What are you using to annotate your PDFs? I routinely use the built-in Reader app to make notes and send it to people by e-mail or DropBox. All annotations appear as they should.

Are you sure you're saving your document? If you can see your notes in SP3 but not another computer, that means they are not opening the same version.

OP
M

maxscalf123

@maxscalf123
What are you using to annotate your PDFs? I routinely use the built-in Reader app to make notes and send it to people by e-mail or DropBox. All annotations appear as they should.

Are you sure you're saving your document? If you can see your notes in SP3 but not another computer, that means they are not opening the same version.

Sorry I guess I should have been clear, my notes are fine but when I draw some diagrams or sketch something out with my sp3 pen and save it, those drawings don't show up on other computer. Also I do use dropbox to sync my files.

One other thing, when I open the same file using adobe on my SP3 those changes(notes with pen) do not show up in adobe, but again when I open with default reader that sp3 comes with I see those notes.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry I guess I should have been clear, my notes are fine but when I draw some diagrams or sketch something out with my sp3 pen and save it, those drawings don't show up on other computer. Also I do use dropbox to sync my files.

One other thing, when I open the same file using adobe on my SP3 those changes(notes with pen) do not show up in adobe, but again when I open with default reader that sp3 comes with I see those notes.
Adobe Reader may not recognize the ink from the default reader app, you may need t upgrade to something like Drawboard PDF or even PDF Annotator. Or if you desktops are Windows 8.x you can open them with the Reader App and as long as the files are saved to Dropbox they should see the ink.

OP
M

maxscalf123

Adobe Reader may not recognize the ink from the default reader app, you may need t upgrade to something like Drawboard PDF or even PDF Annotator. Or if you desktops are Windows 8.x you can open them with the Reader App and as long as the files are saved to Dropbox they should see the ink.

Thank you for those suggestions, is there an online reader that I can use to do the same that's free?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for those suggestions, is there an online reader that I can use to do the same that's free?
I use Drawboard PDF, not sure of an Online PDF Reader that would support this. Printing or Sending the PDF to OneNote would across devices.

nipponham

Adobe Reader may not recognize the ink from the default reader app, you may need t upgrade to something like Drawboard PDF or even PDF Annotator.
Nope, notes made in the Reader app, whether they are written notes or diagrams (I don't know why anyone would think this would make a difference...) show up fine in any program that can open and read PDF, including the standard desktop Adobe Reader.

OP
M

maxscalf123

Nope, notes made in the Reader app, whether they are written notes or diagrams (I don't know why anyone would think this would make a difference...) show up fine in any program that can open and read PDF, including the standard desktop Adobe Reader.

have you tried doing this on your SP3? if so does it work? For me it does not work and hence the reason why i am posting here in first place..

nipponham

If it did not work for me, I would not be replying to this thread, hence the reason why I am responding in the first place...

johnj2803

I have been using a mixed of applications to annotate PDF's on my SP3 and they show up fine on my mac via the preview app...

Have you tried saving the file in a USB and opening that same file on another computer?

The reason I ask is because Dropbox or OneDrive sometimes doesn't sync the right updated files sometimes.... I have encountered these personally a few times. But it works most of the time for me when in OneDrive or Dropbox. Just make sure you are opening the appropriate updated file.