}
IfWinExist, OneNote
{
WinActivate
return
}

paste into notepad
Save file as pen.ahk and save it to"
C:\Users\Your user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

This will open AutoHotKey when you boot and run the script.
This is not a perfect method but for now it is a work around.

Edit: for Office 365 2013 use
#F20::
IfWinNotExist, OneNote
{
Run, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\onenote.exe
return
}
IfWinExist, OneNote
{
WinActivate
return
}

Last edited:

lords20

It did not work for me at first. So I compiled the file I made and the desktop version opens up.

Thanks

samurai

May be you are not aware of the 'surface' app available in the store with which you can do this without any hassle. or am I missing something here.

OP
K

Kris

May be you are not aware of the 'surface' app available in the store with which you can do this without any hassle. or am I missing something here.
This has been a huge issue with Windows 10 for a long time, as stated earlier the surface app doesn't work with Windows 10.
This is not a perfect fix either. From time to time it still brings up the MUI app, but for the most part it works.

samurai

This has been a huge issue with Windows 10 for a long time, as stated earlier the surface app doesn't work with Windows 10.
This is not a perfect fix either. From time to time it still brings up the MUI app, but for the most part it works.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess this comes under one of the many things that are broken in Win10.

DiverAllen

Thanks. The script (2nd one) works for me much of the time. However, I wish MSFT would fix this. While my single click on the top button now opens the desktop version (which I want) - a double click opens the screen capture for the 'app' version or 'not desktop version.

Allen

OP
K

Kris

Thanks. The script (2nd one) works for me much of the time. However, I wish MSFT would fix this. While my single click on the top button now opens the desktop version (which I want) - a double click opens the screen capture for the 'app' version or 'not desktop version.

Allen
I am trying to find a script that will open the desktop app on a double click.

OP
K

Kris

I am having no luck finding out the command that F19, pen double click, gives. Easy enough to make it open other apps but take a screenshot and send it to onenote is proving to be difficult. I am setting mine to open the snipping tool.

OP
K

Kris

Still no luck on finding out what command is given when you double click the top button. They only info I can find is it is a F19 command. If anyone knows what the command is it would be a great help in writing up a hotkey script to change it to Onenote desktop 2013 or 2016.

tsongx

The command behind Note button on AC and the S-Pen's top button, is 'onenote-cmd'.

And the executive detail of 'onenote-cmd' can be specified in REGEDIT, at the key of 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\onenote-cmd\shell\open\Command'.

If you want to make the desktop version as default, you can just replace the value of '(Default)' with the path to your OneNote desktop,
e.g. (backup/export that reg key just in case)
"C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office15\ONENOTE.EXE" for 32-bit OneNote 2013 in a 64-bit Windows.
"C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office15\ONENOTE.EXE" for others.

Plus, you may redirect the path to any program you like, such as other note-taking program, Outlook, Task Manager, etc. , to activate your favorite app by pressing S-Pen's button or the Note button in Action Center.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kris

The command behind Note button on AC and the S-Pen's top button, is 'onenote-cmd'.

And the executive detail of 'onenote-cmd' can be specified in REGEDIT, at the key of 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\onenote-cmd\shell\open\Command'.

If you want to make the desktop version as default, you can just replace the value of '(Default)' with the path to your OneNote desktop,
e.g. (backup/export that reg key just in case)
"C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office15\ONENOTE.EXE" for 32-bit OneNote 2013 in a 64-bit Windows.
"C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office15\ONENOTE.EXE" for others.

Plus, you may redirect the path to any program you like, such as other note-taking program, Outlook, Task Manager, etc. , to activate your favorite app by pressing S-Pen's button or the Note button in Action Center.

Did that a while ago, doesn't work. Had to resort to using the autohotkey app. I believe the command F19 is either "windows + s" or "windows + shift + s". Got it to open the desktop version once, with both single press an double press, but when I restarted my SP3 my script no longer worked. So for now my script opens Onenote 2016, on a single press, and snipping tool, on double press.

Last edited: