What's new

Orange flashing light inside my Surface Pro....?

W24TSN

Hi all,

I've noticed a flashing orange light inside my Surface Pro every now and again and have searched the Interweb to see what it is but I cant seem to find a definitive answer.
Does anyone on here know? It doesn't stop it from working or anything, it just flashes away merrily.
Some people have said the light flashes when its "bricked" but mine seems fine and I haven't noticed anything problems.

Any ideas?

Nuspieds

From what I know, the flashing orange light is NOT good thing.

I say that because when it first happened to me, my system would no longer boot. I contacted Microsoft and the support tech had nothing but bad news for me when I told him about it.

However, on his final troubleshooting tip, he told me to do the "Battery Out Reset" procedure (where you hold the power button for 20 seconds) and that did the trick! Since then, that issue has not re-occurred, but I have still seen the flashing orange light from time-to-time. Thus, although I'm therefore not inclined to say the orange light always means bad news, I am currently inclined to say that it doesn't mean good news, either.

souldier

I always see the orange flashing light at the side of the perimeter venting whenever I turn on my surface pro. I don't see it as anything wrong and I don't have any problems with my SP. I basically thought it was a light indicator telling you that you turned it on. After that, it doesn't blink or anything

dlacaba

I've noticed it, but I don't have any major problems. I only saw it once when I was in the dark and just figured it was always there and I only noticed it because I was turning it on in the dark.

Deryl McCarty

Hi all,

I've noticed a flashing orange light inside my Surface Pro every now and again and have searched the Interweb to see what it is but I cant seem to find a definitive answer.
Does anyone on here know? It doesn't stop it from working or anything, it just flashes away merrily.
Some people have said the light flashes when its "bricked" but mine seems fine and I haven't noticed anything problems.

Any ideas?

I note a second or so flash on start up and did not figure it to be much more that an power-on "indicator"...however I encountered issues a few months back with overheating and beta drivers not able to keep up with the Marvell350n wireless adapter. Long story short, before reinstalling a Straight 8 version, I noted that the orange light was flashing in a particular sequence over and over much like the old POST lights in a desk top. So that is what I expect the SP orange light to be: a troubleshooting POST indicator. Never did find a code breaker for one long, 2 short, 4 short, 3 short, 2 short repeat.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8